Recipe & Video A simple yet elegant Japanese rice dish, Takikomi Gohan.

madebyyouandi

Local time
10:43 PM
Website
www.youtube.com
This was a staple in university because I had no time to cook and no stomach for junk food. I would put everything in the rice cooker and have something warm to eat ready all day long.

Here is a video so that you can easily understand:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9UCXQcRQdU

TAKIKOMI
2 cups Rice
Shiitake Mushrooms (4 or 5)
Seasonal Mushrooms (1/2 - 1 cup)
1 Carrot
1/2 cup sliced Burdock Root (Gobo -- any seasonal vegetable)
1 pack Konkyaku (has no flavor, adds texture, can omit)
2 fried tofu (abura age) (adds texture and protein, can omit)
200 grams Chicken (preferably leg meat)
2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
2 tablespoons Mirin (or 1 teaspoon sugar, 2 tablespoons sake)2 tablespoons Sake (this is said to negate any odor)
Salt to taste
2 cups Dashi
(note: the amount of vegetables and chicken is not precisely measured but ratio of rice to dashi is always 1 cup rice to 1 cup dashi.)

1. Wash the rice and set aside. Doing this will partly hydrate the rice which is said to improve the texture and flavor.
  2. Slice the vegetables and set aside. 
(note: some people put the sliced burdock in water to remove bitterness and/or prevent oxidation)
  3. Boil the konyaku and 'fried tofu' separately. Drain, slice, and set aside.
  4. Slice the chicken, with skin, into bite sized pieces and add the soy sauce, mirin, and sake.
  5. Prepare your dashi.
  6. Now that all of your ingredients are ready, combine them either in a rice cooker or a deep sauce pan.
  7. The rice MUST go into the pan first. Make sure it is evenly spread along the bottom.
  8. Place the rest of the ingredients into the pot in any order but do not mix.
  9. Add the dashi.
  10. Set into your rice cooker. (Japanese rice cookers will have a special setting labeled 炊き込み.)
  11. If you are using a stovetop, without stirring the pot, bring it to a boil then cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 13 minutes, then turn off the heat. Do not open the pot. Let it steam for an additional 15 minutes.
  12. Stir the takikomi rice and serve.
_DSCtaki-Edit.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing I have always appreciated about Japanese cuisine is how artfully done it can be.

Everyone is familiar with sushi, nigiri, tempura, udon, yakatori and such. And they are all excellent items which I often crave.

I recently discovered a whole new world of Japanese treats, which include Anpan, Daifuku, Mochi, Dango, Anmitsu, Taiyaki and other treats which are included in Japanese low sugar wagashi. And that is not to leave out elegant namagashi creations.

I would love to see some of these represented as recipes here at CB, that I can try.

Last edited:
Nice article. I did try mochi at a local diner years ago, really liked them.

I'd, as you, be happy to try out to make some...possibly in late June or July...

Am hoping to be able to make bean paste at home too,as it keeps being mentioned as filling for mochi...

Like this(out of your article), for Kashiwa Mochi
Kashiwa Mochi かしわ餅 • Just One Cookbook

Using oak leaves in a food recipe is really unique. I wonder if they are eaten or discarded after serving a decorative function.

Using oak leaves in a food recipe is really unique. I wonder if they are eaten or discarded after serving a decorative function.
Decoration only. I read it, and it says not edible. But, strongly symbolic. Longevity and other good characteristics, very suitable for Children's day, which is what traditionally Kashiwa Mochi are made for.
And thank you for the inspiration, I just quickly made my version of mochi like balls, but not really mochi. Deelicious.

Will post in Eaten today...

I hope we have hijacked madebyyouandi 's original post, but I am thinking we might depend upon the OP to enlighten us on these Japanese treats.
I was thinking about that right now,😎🙈 my consciousness rang...
My apologies if we did, it was mere spiralling inspiration...
I will watch the madebyyouandi recipe with great pleasure a tad later, as am about to enter online classes...

This was a staple in university because I had no time to cook and no stomach for junk food. I would put everything in the rice cooker and have something warm to eat ready all day long.

TAKIKOMI
2 cups Rice
1 Carrot
2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
2 tablespoons Mirin (or 1 teaspoon sugar, 2 tablespoons sake)2 tablespoons Sake (this is said to negate any odor)
Salt to taste
2 cups Dashi
(note: the amount of vegetables and chicken is not precisely measured but ratio of rice to dashi is always 1 cup rice to 1 cup dashi.)

1. Wash the rice and set aside. Doing this will partly hydrate the rice which is said to improve the texture and flavor.

(note: some people put the sliced burdock in water to remove bitterness and/or prevent oxidation)
  2. Boil the konyaku and 'fried tofu' separately. Drain, slice, and set aside.
  3. Slice the chicken, with skin, into bite sized pieces and add the soy sauce, mirin, and sake.
  4. Prepare your dashi.
  5. Now that all of your ingredients are ready, combine them either in a rice cooker or a deep sauce pan.
  6. The rice MUST go into the pan first. Make sure it is evenly spread along the bottom.
  7. Place the rest of the ingredients into the pot in any order but do not mix.
  8. Add the dashi.
  9. Set into your rice cooker. (Japanese rice cookers will have a special setting labeled 炊き込み.)
  10. If you are using a stovetop, without stirring the pot, bring it to a boil then cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 13 minutes, then turn off the heat. Do not open the pot. Let it steam for an additional 15 minutes.

View attachment 63366
Looks delicious. We are so happy you joined. I must have missed the fact you did join. Welcome🌼😊

I will gladly watch the recipe.

As a beginner, I need lots of time around a new recipe, to watch, to research, to translate, write down, reflect...so will do it this evening.

My apologies again for distracting from your recipe.🙏

TAKIKOMI
2 cups Rice
1 Carrot
2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
Salt to taste
2 cups Dashi

2. Boil the konyaku and 'fried tofu' separately. Drain, slice, and set aside.
  3. Slice the chicken, with skin, into bite sized pieces and add the soy sauce, mirin, and sake.
  4. Prepare your dashi.
  5. Now that all of your ingredients are ready, combine them either in a rice cooker or a deep sauce pan.
  6. The rice MUST go into the pan first. Make sure it is evenly spread along the bottom.
  7. Place the rest of the ingredients into the pot in any order but do not mix.
  8. Add the dashi.
  9. Set into your rice cooker. (Japanese rice cookers will have a special setting labeled 炊き込み.)
  10. If you are using a stovetop, without stirring the pot, bring it to a boil then cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 13 minutes, then turn off the heat. Do not open the pot. Let it steam for an additional 15 minutes.

View attachment 63366
I got distracted as well... your recipe is lovely, and I will look for Konkyaku, even if not necessary for the recipe. I do want to try this, and thank you for the posting!

Welcome aboard!!!

I hope we have hijacked madebyyouandi 's original post, but I am thinking we might depend upon the OP to enlighten us on these Japanese treats.
My ears were just burning. :)

I have to tell ya'll, I had to smile when I read "rice sandwich". I think that is the better term. I've lived here half my life and I think I've seen them maybe twice in the market. Onigiri is by leaps and bounds the more popular, but then they (mis)translate that as "rice ball", so maybe rice sandwich is better outside Japan. :wink:

Decoration only. I read it, and it says not edible. But, strongly symbolic.
Yes and no. The oak leaves are edible. And you will see people eat them. When I first came to Japan I was told to try it to see if I liked it better with or without. The leaves are salted. Honestly, if they removed the main veins, I'd probably always eat them. (The vein makes it a bit chewy, kinda like a 'cud'.) And the leaves do add a subtle flavor.

If you're interested in leaves, the sakura leaf is also used to wrap sweets. And in fine dining establishments, food will be served on pine needles on occasion. Then there's bamboo leaves...

If you want to get a feeling for mochi and what people make at home, you can buy dango powder in most Asian super markets. It's very easy to prepare, is boiled rather than steamed, and the texture is similar to mochi. Eat it as is, with sugar syrup, black sugar syrup, or adzuki -- they're even added to kakigori (think snow cone but with finely shaved ice that is soft like powdered snow).

For main dishes, if you've never had oyakodan, it's wonderful, the only thing more Japanese-y for the home cook would be niku-jyaga and hamubagu. Oh, I think I now have a topic for a new video. Thanks!

:)

I got distracted as well... your recipe is lovely, and I will look for Konkyaku, even if not necessary for the recipe. I do want to try this, and thank you for the posting!

Welcome aboard!!!
I hope it's easy to find where you are. FYI, they make konyaku into a calorie-free noodle which you can substitute for pasta. I live on that so I go shirtless at the beach. You might keep an eye out for it to see if you like it, too. :)

Back
Top Bottom