Recipe & Video A simple yet elegant Japanese rice dish, Takikomi Gohan.

I hope it's easy to find where you are. FYI, they make konyaku into a calorie-free noodle which you can substitute for pasta. I live on that so I go shirtless at the beach. You might keep an eye out for it to see if you like it, too. :)

Once it is easier to travel again (COVID) I should be back at more expansive Asian markets.

Is konyaku in noodle form at all related to shirataki noodles? -- wait, I just pulled out my pack of shirataki noodles and the small print says made from konjac flour - and in smaller print "sometimes called a konnyaku potato". Obviously for your recipe I don't want this in noodle form, but at least I am on the right track.

Is konyaku in noodle form at all related to shirataki noodles? -- wait, I just pulled out my pack of shirataki noodles and the small print says made from konjac flour - and in smaller print "sometimes called a konnyaku potato". Obviously for your recipe I don't want this in noodle form, but at least I am on the right track.
The same ingredient but the result is different. Kind of like how flour can make both bread and noodles depending on how you work with it. This kind of konyaku is formulated to be psydo-ramen or psudo-somen. I've fooled a few people people because the texture is so well done. They do a similar thing with tofu as well. Here's a photo. In the future, when you're in the right shop you can ask if they sell them. (If not, someone could make a fortune by importing them.)

Last edited by a moderator:
My ears were just burning. :)

I have to tell ya'll, I had to smile when I read "rice sandwich". I think that is the better term. I've lived here half my life and I think I've seen them maybe twice in the market. Onigiri is by leaps and bounds the more popular, but then they (mis)translate that as "rice ball", so maybe rice sandwich is better outside Japan. :wink:

Yes and no. The oak leaves are edible. And you will see people eat them. When I first came to Japan I was told to try it to see if I liked it better with or without. The leaves are salted. Honestly, if they removed the main veins, I'd probably always eat them. (The vein makes it a bit chewy, kinda like a 'cud'.) And the leaves do add a subtle flavor.

If you're interested in leaves, the sakura leaf is also used to wrap sweets. And in fine dining establishments, food will be served on pine needles on occasion. Then there's bamboo leaves...

If you want to get a feeling for mochi and what people make at home, you can buy dango powder in most Asian super markets. It's very easy to prepare, is boiled rather than steamed, and the texture is similar to mochi. Eat it as is, with sugar syrup, black sugar syrup, or adzuki -- they're even added to kakigori (think snow cone but with finely shaved ice that is soft like powdered snow).

For main dishes, if you've never had oyakodan, it's wonderful, the only thing more Japanese-y for the home cook would be niku-jyaga and hamubagu. Oh, I think I now have a topic for a new video. Thanks!

:)
Wonderful👏. Like a one pot has all dish.
It does look very healthy.
I saw not long ago a fascinating documentary about preparation of a Japanese mountain region delicacy. Unsure if it was yam? But it is dried outside and let to frost.

Back
Top Bottom