Recipe Abruzzo: Adriatic Brodetto, Fish & Shellfish Bouillabaisse.

Francesca

Local time
1:00 PM
AAFRANCESCAFRESHFISH20180122_120352.jpg

In Italian gastronomy, the Word Brodetto means Bouillabaisse, and this is an authentic traditional fisherman´s village Bouillabaisse on the Eastern coast of Italy, in Abruzzo and The Marches.
This dish is elaborated on with the seasonal daily catch and fresh vegetables and has a light base of tomato, garlic, Evoo, Green horn shaped pepper and a sprinkling of dried or fresh red chili pepper.

Here is our family take on the jewel ..

Recipe:
1 grouper of 800 grams
400 grams of monkfish
4 Norway Bay prawns
2 Saint Pierre ( small to médium size )
2 Calamar ( 200 grams ) = Squid
1 Seabass ( 130 grams ) or wild fresh Cod
6 red tomatoes or San Marzano
1/2 Green horn pepper minced
1 dried chili pepper (cayenne guindillas or red pepper flakes if you prefer )
1 or 2 cloves of garlic minced
5 Cl. or 3 tablespoons of Italian Evoo
A handful of fresh minced parsley
Salt and black freshly ground pepper to taste

1) Firstly, rinse all the seafood & then, remove the skin of the monkfish and slice in thick medallions (rounds) .. Then do same with the grouper and scale the skin of the other fish.
2) Peel and de-seed the tomatoes and mince and mince the green Italian horn pepper.
3) Place some Evoo into a large earthenware for stove top ( a cazuela Works amazingly) heat the Evoo, and put the garlic, tomatoes and Green pepper to sauté 5 minutes in total. ( a thick sauce is consistency necessary ) and one can add a shot glass of White wine and 1 shot glass of seafood broth or fish broth ..
4) Then rinse and slice the Squid in fine arcs and add to the earthenware.
5) Now add the Saint Pedro and / or the Cod or Seabass ..
6) Now, add the monkfish, and the grouper and cover the earthenware for 5 minutes ..
7) Add the shellfish (crusteans ), and simmer another 5 minutes covered.
8) One can also add jumbo prawns or clams or mussels as well .. Simmer all on a low slow flame and sprinkle with parsley, adjust salt and black pepper ..
9) Check fish to see if flesh is just done ( do not over cook ) ..
10) Do not add wáter to this dish. If the sauce is too too thick, add another shot glass of shellfish broth stock or fish broth stock ..

Serve this dish with crusty rustic bread and a bottle of Italian White Wine or Prosecco .

AAFRANCESCAOCTOPUSANDURCHIN20180122_120518.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 13108

In Italian gastronomy, the Word Brodetto means Bouillabaisse, and this is an authentic traditional fisherman´s village Bouillabaisse on the Eastern coast of Italy, in Abruzzo and The Marches.
This dish is elaborated on with the seasonal daily catch and fresh vegetables and has a light base of tomato, garlic, Evoo, Green horn shaped pepper and a sprinkling of dried or fresh red chili pepper.

Here is our family take on the jewel ..

Recipe:
1 grouper of 800 grams
400 grams of monkfish
4 Norway Bay prawns
2 Saint Pierre ( small to médium size )
2 Calamar ( 200 grams ) = Squid
1 Seabass ( 130 grams ) or wild fresh Cod
6 red tomatoes or San Marzano
1/2 Green horn pepper minced
1 dried chili pepper (cayenne guindillas or red pepper flakes if you prefer )
1 or 2 cloves of garlic minced
5 Cl. or 3 tablespoons of Italian Evoo
A handful of fresh minced parsley
Salt and black freshly ground pepper to taste

1) Firstly, rinse all the seafood & then, remove the skin of the monkfish and slice in thick medallions (rounds) .. Then do same with the grouper and scale the skin of the other fish.
2) Peel and de-seed the tomatoes and mince and mince the green Italian horn pepper.
3) Place some Evoo into a large earthenware for stove top ( a cazuela Works amazingly) heat the Evoo, and put the garlic, tomatoes and Green pepper to sauté 5 minutes in total. ( a thick sauce is consistency necessary ) and one can add a shot glass of White wine and 1 shot glass of seafood broth or fish broth ..
4) Then rinse and slice the Squid in fine arcs and add to the earthenware.
5) Now add the Saint Pedro and / or the Cod or Seabass ..
6) Now, add the monkfish, and the grouper and cover the earthenware for 5 minutes ..
7) Add the shellfish (crusteans ), and simmer another 5 minutes covered.
8) One can also add jumbo prawns or clams or mussels as well .. Simmer all on a low slow flame and sprinkle with parsley, adjust salt and black pepper ..
9) Check fish to see if flesh is just done ( do not over cook ) ..
10) Do not add wáter to this dish. If the sauce is too too thick, add another shot glass of shellfish broth stock or fish broth stock ..

Serve this dish with crusty rustic bread and a bottle of Italian White Wine or Prosecco .

View attachment 13109

@Francesca I didn't know this recipe from Abruzzo/Marche..very interesting. I see that you post many fish recipes, very good, molto brava :okay:
I should also start to do it but in fact I'm realizing that I cook very little fish, and the strange thing is that I love it!

@Francesca I didn't know this recipe from Abruzzo/Marche..very interesting. I see that you post many fish recipes, very good, molto brava :okay:
I should also start to do it but in fact I'm realizing that I cook very little fish, and the strange thing is that I love it!

@MypinchofItaly

Dear, interesting. I eat meat or chicken perhaps 3 or 4 times a month. I love shellfish and fish .. It is my main protein source .. I am Pescatarian predominately ..

This is an old récipe and it is amazingly wonderful ..

Thanks Dear ..

Back
Top Bottom