Absinthe

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
4:59 AM
I got this for my birthday last November, complete with the special flat spoon thing on which one is supposed (in a ritual) to put the sugar cube and then pour the absinthe through into the glass. The spoon thingy is shown here on the side of the box. Absinthe has quite a reputation for its hallucinogenic properties. :eek:. But I will be in good company if I partake. Acoording to Wiki, Ernest Hemingway, James Joyce, Charles Baudelaire, Paul Verlaine, Arthur Rimbaud, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Amedeo Modigliani, Pablo Picasso, Vincent van Gogh, Oscar Wilde, Marcel Proust, Aleister Crowley, Erik Satieand Alfred Jarry were all known absinthe drinkers.[7]

Anyone here tried it?

DSCF2383.jpg

I tried a couple of different Absinthes a few years ago at Vinopolis - sadly I can't remember which ones they were, except one was very turquoise colour and the other was light green......and that I liked one of them but not the other. Hope you like it!

upload_2016-2-20_13-20-9.jpeg
The spoon thingy looks like it could come in handy as weapon. I watch to much TV. I also think the word is great for the spelling bee. Do let us know what you intend to do with this drink. I suggest you don't use too much unless you are in safe company.:wink:

I tried a couple of different Absinthes a few years ago at Vinopolis - sadly I can't remember which ones they were, except one was very turquoise colour and the other was light green......and that I liked one of them but not the other. Hope you like it!
Not sure what the turquoise drink was as absinthe is light green by its ingredients,after a few shots of absinthe things can appear any colour!:eek:

View attachment 2340The spoon thingy looks like it could come in handy as weapon. I watch to much TV. I also think the word is great for the spelling bee. Do let us know what you intend to do with this drink. I suggest you don't use too much unless you are in safe company.:wink:
Well I think you just have to drink it mixed with water. You first put the absinthe in the glass and then pour water into the glass through a sugar cube balanced on the spoon thingy. I will be trying this out next Sunday.... in the company of the friend who gave it to me. I'll report back on any hallucinations!:wacky:

Well I think you just have to drink it mixed with water. You first put the absinthe in the glass and then pour water into the glass through a sugar cube balanced on the spoon thingy. I will be trying this out next Sunday.... in the company of the friend who gave it to me. I'll report back on any hallucinations!:wacky:
I'll wait with bated breath.

Not sure what the turquoise drink was as absinthe is light green by its ingredients,after a few shots of absinthe things can appear any colour!:eek:
LOL possibly very true if you drank a lot of it! Maybe my description of the colour is faulty, but they were both definitely absinthe (I don't know if you've heard of Vinopolis, but their entire premise is tasting different wines and spirits and on one of our visits they had an absinthe bar).

I've actually been thinking about this over the weekend, and I think one was described as "French absinthe" and the other was "something-else absinthe" and they definitely looked very different to each other

Edited to add......
After googling a few pictures, possibly the turquoise-y coloured one was Czech absinthe.

Back
Top Bottom