Advent traditions , or fun stuff you have seen and liked.

CoffeeTalk

Veteran
Local time
1:54 AM
I love Advent , its the weeks before Christmas, and ultimately ends on Christmas Eve December 24.
In Norther Europe it is one of the more festive and fun and decorated times of the year.
Also there is Advent Calender , the countdown from December 1. to 24., with a new item/gift/show every day.
In Scandinavia and as well in Germany there is also Children's Tv shows with one episode every day, telling a story, usually related to Christmas in some way.
There is also decorating, making cakes, Christmas markets and different things for each week up until Christmas, it vary greatly from region to region also withing each country.

Do you have a favorite tradition or decoration, or have you seen something that you really liked, and where was that?

One of my tradition is to watch one or more of the Calender Tv Shows one episode every day, usually with my friends.

During this time leading up to Christmas many concerts are held around the island...church concerts as well as open air concerts. Our church recently held a Christmas program with lovely singing accompanied by a beautiful display of lights, which was very well attended. The presentation was superb and was enjoyed by everyone. This is a yearly event here. There are also flea markets where Christmas gift items and household items are sold at reasonable prices, and I like to frequent these. Then, of course, there are the house parties and office parties, so it is a time of lots of activity.

Another one of my favorite activities at this time is driving around the country and taking a look at all those houses which are beautifully decorated with lights on the outside. This is a craze which started about a decade or more ago, and now more and more people are catching on to the idea of decorating the outside of their homes with lots of lights. Some even have the nativity scene erected outside, and yet others have large blown-up Santa Clauses standing in their front yard.

Back
Top Bottom