Advice for folding hot batter (fortune cookies)

Terrum

Local time
3:42 AM
Hi, I'm new to the forum and hoping someone can help me out!

I recently tried making fortune cookies and I can't find anywhere how to fold them without burning your fingers! (Maybe my fingers are just really sensitive :o_o:)

As I'm sure most of you reading this will know, you have to fold the batter within 10-15 seconds of them coming out of the oven, and whilst I like to think I've got the hang of it, I just can't seem to get over the stinging burn that occurs when doing the folding process!

So, I'm looking for some advice on any way to fold the batter without burning your fingers. I tried washing gloves and, whilst it does work, it's only about 5 seconds until they start to get hot!

Looking forward to seeing what everyone has to say! Thanks so much for reading :)

Welcome to CookingBites @Terrum. I am also in Kent and a lovely county it is!

Not sure I can help you on this question as I've never made fortune cookies. Maybe someone else here can help. If you have a moment, do pop over to New Member Introductions and tell us more about yourself and your cooking interests. We love new members!

So, I'm looking for some advice on any way to fold the batter without burning your fingers. I tried washing gloves and, whilst it does work, it's only about 5 seconds until they start to get hot!
Welcome to the forum! I have 2 things to say about this:

1. I've never made fortune cookies, which of course means that I have to try making them sometime soon!
  2. After checking a few different places, the best advice was: "I have heard that wearing tight fitted cotton gloves helps so you don’t burn your hands when working with the hot cookies"
I was going to suggest using a spatula to flip over the folds of the cookie while still malleable, but I'll have to try myself to see if this works.

I've never made fortune cookies either. They did feature in a recent TV programme (? Bake Off) but did not appear to be the easiest thing to fold.

Back
Top Bottom