Recipe Advocaat cake

Local time
7:08 AM
We always end up with a partial bottle of Advocaat left over after Christmas....which generally takes up valuable room in the fridge until it goes off and gets thrown away. So I decided to try to find a way to use it up this year and came across an Advocaat Easter cake (which is apparently popular in Germany, though I've never heard of it). Anyway, whether it is traditional or not, I decided to give it a go :chef:

Ingredients
250ml Melted Butter (you could use vegetable oil if you wanted to avoid dairy)
250g Caster Sugar
5 Large or 6 Medium Eggs
250ml Advocaat
250g Self Raising Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder

Method
  • Preheat oven to 180 C / 160 C fan / Gas 4
  • Grease and lightly flour a ring shaped cake tin
  • Beat the sugar and eggs till light and fluffy
  • Stir in the melted butter
  • Slowly add the Advocaat whilst continuing to stir
  • Add the flour and baking powder and fold in until no traces of flour remain
  • Tip mixture in the tin and bake on the lowest rack of your oven until browned and a tester comes out clean, about 50 minutes
  • Let it cool in the tin for a while before turning out onto a cake rack

It came out really well - the texture is light and fluffy, it has a delicate flavour and its nice and moist. I'll definitely be making this one again, though I need a buy a prettier tin!

gLqEdpcl.jpg

This really looks great! Now I know what to do with that left over Advocaat. I think the tin shape is rather nice. I wonder if this cake could work with left-over Baileys ,which I also have!

This really looks great! Now I know what to do with that left over Advocaat. I think the tin shape is rather nice. I wonder if this cake could work with left-over Baileys ,which I also have!
I had that exact same thought regarding Baileys :thumbsup: and I think it probably would. I'm planning on trying that next :wink:

The recipe is calling for Self-rising flour plus a teaspoon of baking powder? Why is that? :unsure:

The recipe is calling for Self-rising flour plus a teaspoon of baking powder? Why is that? :unsure:
I always put a tsp of baking powder in a cake - its what I was taught at school and actually most recipes I've seen still include it....even the queen of cakes Mary Berry's recipes include a tsp or two of baking powder.

The original recipe actually used plain flour and 3 tsp of baking powder.

This is looking great. I don't like when the things are thrown away. It is very good to reuse the cake. I will also try to do the same.

We always end up with a partial bottle of Advocaat left over after Christmas....which generally takes up valuable room in the fridge until it goes off and gets thrown away. So I decided to try to find a way to use it up this year and came across an Advocaat Easter cake (which is apparently popular in Germany, though I've never heard of it). Anyway, whether it is traditional or not, I decided to give it a go :chef:

Ingredients
250ml Melted Butter (you could use vegetable oil if you wanted to avoid dairy)
250g Caster Sugar
5 Large or 6 Medium Eggs
250ml Advocaat
250g Self Raising Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder

Method
  • Preheat oven to 180 C / 160 C fan / Gas 4
  • Grease and lightly flour a ring shaped cake tin
  • Beat the sugar and eggs till light and fluffy
  • Stir in the melted butter
  • Slowly add the Advocaat whilst continuing to stir
  • Add the flour and baking powder and fold in until no traces of flour remain
  • Tip mixture in the tin and bake on the lowest rack of your oven until browned and a tester comes out clean, about 50 minutes
  • Let it cool in the tin for a while before turning out onto a cake rack

It came out really well - the texture is light and fluffy, it has a delicate flavour and its nice and moist. I'll definitely be making this one again, though I need a buy a prettier tin!

View attachment 28821

Looks like a pound cake. :wink:

When I was a youngster my Mum and Dad always used to buy me a bottle of Advokaat for Christmas. I used to love snowballs. I haven't bought it for years, but may do now.
I always put a spoonful or two of baking powder in with self-raising flour, or four heaped spoonfuls in the plain flour (which I mostly use) too. Cakes don't seem to rise enough otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom