again with the hard boiled thing....

CookieMonster

Local time
8:16 AM
I'm working on a longer treatise, but to add to the 50-60 million threads on how to cook a hard boiled egg,,,,
these are taken cold from the fridge, pin holed in big end, into boiling water, boiled 14 minutes, boiling water drained and immediately refilled with cold tap water and lots of ice cubes. cooling time minimum 30 minutes.
if the sound is on, you can hear the shells cracking during the rolling.
they peel cleanly - this is no accident or set-up - I can do 2 or two dozen and they peel like this every single time every single egg.

View: https://vimeo.com/454903664

yokes veddy nice

salad too...

I do mine pretty much the same, but only for 11 minutes, and they're barely at a boil - just past a simmer. The yolks come out thoroughly cooked, but just a bit brighter yellow in the center.

As to the peeling - if I'm in a hurry, I immediately drain them, then rattle them around the pan vigorously for about 15-30 seconds which cracks the shells all over, then into ice water for about 10 minutes or so. Shell comes right off.

I get free range fresh, I have trouble peeling about half of my eggs. Too fresh? I dunno. I've tried vinegar and all sorts to no avail. I just live with it now. Half my eggs look like the surface of the moon.

Russ
The trick is to get under that membrane that's between the shell and egg white. If I'm having any difficulty with an egg at all, I get it started under a good blast of cold water.

Also, can't remember where I read this (Serious Eats, most likely), but get your water boiling first, a strong boil, and put your eggs in cold from the fridge (and puncture the fat end first), then after 30 seconds, cut the heat down to a gentle boil and finish cooking. The shock of going into a strong boil cold causes that membrane to contract from the shell, or some other science mumbo-jumbo.

The trick is to get under that membrane that's between the shell and egg white. If I'm having any difficulty with an egg at all, I get it started under a good blast of cold water.

Also, can't remember where I read this (Serious Eats, most likely), but get your water boiling first, a strong boil, and put your eggs in cold from the fridge (and puncture the fat end first), then after 30 seconds, cut the heat down to a gentle boil and finish cooking. The shock of going into a strong boil cold causes that membrane to contract from the shell, or some other science mumbo-jumbo.

I've tried that and everything else, I figure it's because they are too fresh. Like some are laid within a day or two.
I live with it. But oh, those yolks!!

Russ

, boiled 14 minutes,

That is a long time to boil. 9 - 10 minutes should achieve a set egg. Does the 14 minutes somehow contribute to making them easier to peel?

If eggs are too fresh and have a tough membrane even the ice water method can fail. The older the egg the easier to peel. The exception to this seems to be The Black Farmers eggs (brand of free range eggs sold in the UK). These are impossible to peel whatever you do and however old they are!

the boil time will depend on the size of the egg and the starting temperature of the egg and how you like yours....
eggs in our fridge are 38'F/3.33'C - and for example DW prefers her soft boiled eggs more done than my preference - mine go 4:45, hers take 6:15.....

Back
Top Bottom