Air Fryer? Convection Oven?

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
8:05 AM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
There are a couple of gadgets I'm not sure I want to get - one is an air fryer. I understand an air fryer is rather like a small convection oven, and my range's oven has that option in its features. TBH, I haven't yet made much use of my convection feature. I'd like to hear from folks who have/use either or both.

I do appreciate that an air fryer can cook things sorta kinda like a deep fat fryer, but without all the added grease.

My oven has a convection/fan setting. I've used it once, wasn't that impressed. Probably something I'd need to play around with to get used to.

The funny thing is, I'd read an article about the wonders of convection cooking, and it'd say something like, "It's great for roast chicken, because it makes the skin extra crispy," then I'd find another article that would say, "For the love of God, DO NOT under any circumstance, roast a chicken in a convection oven! The skin will be crispy, but the meat will be drier than the bones!"

Regardless of whatever the food item was, there was a pro and con for that food item, so I ended up just sticking with the regular electric oven, and that eliminated having to remember to reduce the temperature and adjust the bake time and all that.

My oven has a convection/fan setting. I've used it once, wasn't that impressed. Probably something I'd need to play around with to get used to.

The funny thing is, I'd read an article about the wonders of convection cooking, and it'd say something like, "It's great for roast chicken, because it makes the skin extra crispy," then I'd find another article that would say, "For the love of God, DO NOT under any circumstance, roast a chicken in a convection oven! The skin will be crispy, but the meat will be drier than the bones!"

Regardless of whatever the food item was, there was a pro and con for that food item, so I ended up just sticking with the regular electric oven, and that eliminated having to remember to reduce the temperature and adjust the bake time and all that.

That's pretty much why I have yet to do much with my convection feature on the oven. Actually, ahem, even though it is THERE and someday should be explored, I've yet to do so!

Both Yorky & I use halogen ovens which are very similar to air fryers. I use it more than any other gadget I own - its particularly good for cooking for one or two people. heats up instantly and you can easily see what you are cooking. It also uses far less electricity than a conventional oven. It can cook almost anything that a conventional oven will cook (including a whole chicken), cakes and bread. Mine cost a mere £25 ($39). The only down side is it takes up quite a lot of counter space. But its worth it. I got rid of a counter top toaster/oven to make way for it as it does everything that did plus more. I promise you won't regret it if you get one.

Looks like this:

There is a thread somewhere about it....

I have an air fryer, the 5 quart Power XL. I am really happy with it. Yes, it does take up a lot of space, but I have a lot of counter space and also a lot of shelves in my pantry if I decide it's in the way (it's not). If my kitchen looks cluttered right now it wouldn't matter anyway since no one comes over to see it.

Anyway, chicken comes out with super crisp skin and stays most and tender on the inside. I do panko breaded chicken thighs in it. I have a Mysto spray bottle for olive oil and I lightly mist the exterior. It's important to preheat before using. There are a ton of great things you can do with it including baking pizzas, making french fries, and so much more. Mine also have a dehydrator setting on it that I want to start using. I do like fried food occasionally, and I am not so much concerned with calories or fat as I am with mess and wasting oil. Think about how much peanut or canola oil it takes to fry something, and you can only use it a few times before you have to get rid of it. We only want fried food maybe twice a month so it's a one use deal for us. And recycling used oil in this day and age isn't easy either. The air fryer saves me a lot of money on oil and saves me time by not having to clean up a greasy mess.

Back
Top Bottom