The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
9:46 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
63ad9ef0-0808-4dc9-8fee-365aff530b3d-jpeg.jpg

My sister-in-law gave us their air fryer a while ago, because they never used it, and it sat on my counter for...well, a very long time before I decided to dust it off and use it. Air frying is a great way to make things that are both tasty and healthy, but there's a price: you can only make a small amount at a time. That's more if an indictment of the air fryer than the process: this is huge for an air fryer, but I was still only able to make 10 rings at a time. As you can imagine, this took some time.

The result was crispy and tasty, without the greasy aftertaste of a deep fried ring, and also without the heavy breading of many baked rings.

Ingredients

1 red onion, sliced thinly (these were 4 mm, sliced with a mandoline)
flour
Panko breadcrumbs
salt
oregano
parsley
2 eggs
canola oil

Directions

1. Place flour in a shallow tray. Mix breadcrumbs, oregano, and parsley in another tray; mix in salt to taste. Whisk eggs together with some water (1 tablespoon per egg) in a third tray.

2. Dust an onion ring in the flour, patting to remove any excess. Dip in the egg mixture, shaking off any excess. Roll in the breadcrumb mixture to coat, tapping off any excess. Place in the air fryer tray. Repeat for remaining rings, taking care to keep them on a single layer.

3. Spray oil on the top of the rings. I used a butter spray bottle, replacing the "butter" with oil.

4. Follow manufacturer's instructions to cook the rings. Serve with a spicy mayonnaise.

Hey - this is not an air fryer its a halolgen cooker just like Yorky and I use! I use mine all the time. Basically, anything you cook in a conventional oven can be cooked in the halogen cooker. I hardly ever use my oven since I got it. You can also use it to toast bread (including cheese on toast), grill (broil) bacon etc. You really need to start using it more. Any dish that you see of mine which is baked 'in the oven' is generally baked using this machine. The only exceptions are large tray bakes or French baguettes (which won't fit in).

Maybe your recipe would work in an air fryer. I don't see why not. Using panko crumbs and herbs has produced a lovely crunchy, yet light texture. They look really delicate and pretty!

You state to cook according to manufacturer's instructions. I didn't get any instructions for cooking onion rings with my halogen cooker - how long did you cook them for?

I also note that any health benefits from reducing the fat is negated by dipping in mayonnaise. :giggle:

I was wondering what kind of air fryer that was. Mine doesn't have a clear piece like that.

I've tried onion rings before but they weren't crispy. Looking forward to trying this again when I'm not fasting.

Its a halogen oven like this that The Late Night Gourmet is using. Its perfect for cooking for one or two people. No need to pre-heat and uses less electricity than a normal oven. Also it doesn't heat up the whole kitchen so its great in hot weather.I use it for literally anything that can be cooked in a conventional oven as long as it fits!. This is a recent example: Aubergine Involtini with Broad Beans and Pistachio.

1611242636230.png

Its a halogen oven like this that The Late Night Gourmet is using. Its perfect for cooking for one or two people. No need to pre-heat and uses less electricity than a normal oven. Also it doesn't heat up the whole kitchen so its great in hot weather.I use it for literally anything that can be cooked in a conventional oven as long as it fits!. This is a recent example: Aubergine Involtini with Broad Beans and Pistachio.

View attachment 55464
How funny...my sister-in-law told me it was an air fryer, and I just accepted it. Mine is basically identical to the one depicted. Cooking times and temperatures for commonly cooked things (including onion rings) are printed on the control panel. But, a detailed manual is also available on-line (most products have .PDF files for their operator manuals available for download).

I'm very glad I finally decided to use it, since I can see using it as you did, to replace my oven (or toaster oven) for many things.

As for this recipe, nothing changes. I do have a small air fryer (an actual air fryer); I think the instructions would have me flip over the rings at some point. And, fair point about the mayo...but, I would have used the mayo for a deep fried onion ring anyway, so I actually come out ahead (though maybe not so much when I eat 20 of them). :laugh:

How funny...my sister-in-law told me it was an air fryer, and I just accepted it. Mine is basically identical to the one depicted. Cooking times and temperatures for commonly cooked things (including onion rings) are printed on the control panel. But, a detailed manual is also available on-line (most products have .PDF files for their operator manuals available for download).

I'm very glad I finally decided to use it, since I can see using it as you did, to replace my oven (or toaster oven) for many things.

As for this recipe, nothing changes. I do have a small air fryer (an actual air fryer); I think the instructions would have me flip over the rings at some point. And, fair point about the mayo...but, I would have used the mayo for a deep fried onion ring anyway, so I actually come out ahead (though maybe not so much when I eat 20 of them). :laugh:

I bought my sister an air fryer for Christmas. She wanted one. I need to ask her if she likes it.

CD

My Power XL air fryer gave up the ghost last night in the middle of cooking fries (chips). It was big and bulky and all it did was air fry, I bought it for about $60 on sale a few years ago and got lots of use out of it.
1615666633185.png
'

Today I bought the Emeril Lagasse 9-in-1. I had a 20% off coupon so it only cost me $170 including tax and shipping. It's a convection oven, air fryer, toaster oven, rotisserie, and more. So now I can get rid of my Black-n-Decker toaster oven, yay! I will have a tad more counter space. I only wish it came in black to match my appliances.

Edited to add that on the website it states that the oven is big enough for a 10 pound chicken to rotisserie. That's not true. It might fit a 4 pound bird. I had a whole chicken I wanted to use but it was probably about 6 pounds and I could tell it wasn't going to fit or it would end up being very tight. I chose to put my chicken in the crockpot instead.
1615666774481.png

Last edited:
My Power XL air fryer gave up the ghost last night in the middle of cooking fries (chips). It was big and bulky and all it did was air fry, I bought it for about $60 on sale a few years ago and got lots of use out of it.
View attachment 59096'

Today I bought the Emeril Lagasse 9-in-1. I had a 20% off coupon so it only cost me $170 including tax and shipping. It's a convection oven, air fryer, toaster oven, rotisserie, and more. So now I can get rid of my Black-n-Decker toaster oven, yay! I will have a tad more counter space. I only wish it came in black to match my appliances.
View attachment 59097
I have been thinking about it but it's just me so it's probably overkill. I'll have to live vicariously through you. I can't wait to hear how much fun you'll have with it!

I have been thinking about it but it's just me so it's probably overkill. I'll have to live vicariously through you. I can't wait to hear how much fun you'll have with it!
Well it's just me and hubby, but I used my old air fryer a lot and loved it. I am super glad to be rid of the old one (took up too much space) and will give my toaster oven to my stepson who lives next door since the new one is a combo appliance. The toaster oven is great for toasting breads, reheating pizza, and much more. I hate heating up the big oven for something small, especially in summer.

I do want to use the rotisserie. I buy the lemon pepper and other rotisserie chicken from the grocery store occasionally. I do buy whole chickens and cook them in the crockpot from time to time and that's great, but the rotisserie chicken will have a more crispy skin, which I love. There are so many things you can do with a rotisserie chicken to make multiple meals. Usually the first day it's chicken with rice and a vegetable, then I might put some on salads with bacon the next day, then I will make some chicken "salad" sandwiches (mayo, mustard, celery, onion) or barbecue chicken sandwiches, and finally soup if there is anything left on the bones. If not, I will make a stock with the carcass and freeze it.

Even if I lived alone I would buy it.

Also, after I bought it (Bed Bath and Beyond) I got a pop up ad for the Emeril's fryer website and they were on sale, plus it was free shipping, but $10 cheaper than BB&B. I called BB&B because they offer a price match guarantee, and they credited my account $10. So if you wanted to get one, go directly to the Emeril's site instead.

Reactions: mjd
I read somewhere that a convection oven can be used as a large air fryer. I haven't tried it with anything yet, but it's in the back of my mind for the next time I want to fry something.

I've been looking at the Emeril oven too. Please do report back JAS_OH1 as you use it more.

I read somewhere that a convection oven can be used as a large air fryer. I haven't tried it with anything yet, but it's in the back of my mind for the next time I want to fry something.

I've been looking at the Emeril oven too. Please do report back JAS_OH1 as you use it more.
I will, I will. It is supposed to arrive Tuesday and I imagine I will use it within a few days after getting it. It got really good reviews and I think if Emeril puts his name on anything it has to be good, he doesn't strike me as someone who would endorse a poor quality product.

You guys are making me want to try it!! Hah!!
As far as the air frying part of it goes, I am not afraid of oil. I like a little grease. You can get that with the air fryer if you want. A lot of people will put frozen French fries in it with no oil to cut back on calories and that is smart and healthy, but I usually toss mine in a few tablespoons of oil and salting them in advance (it sticks better) before cooking them. Some people just spritz the food with some oil. The big advantage is the amount of money saved by not buying big containers of oil to fry in once or twice and then have to dump. And the food cooks evenly. My salmon gets a nice crust on it but stays moist and juicy. All kinds of things can be cooked in an air fryer. And one of the first things I am going to do is to make the onion ring recipe that started this thread, sorry for taking it over The Late Night Gourmet, please forgive me :)

Back
Top Bottom