"Alerts" missing

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
6:43 AM
Strange occurance - between 9:00 pm yesterday and 9:00 am this morning (my time) my browser did not record any alerts to new postings. It is obvious perusing through some topics that there have been postings during this period.

Did you click on 'New Posts' in the green toolbar @Yorky? If so what was that displaying?

I'm not sure what can have happened. Is it back to normal now?

I tend not to look at alerts very much - it is full of alerts to members 'liking' which is fine but clutters it up. It will only alert you to any threads in which you are active, or which you have elected to 'watch' or if you receive a reply or your screen name is mentioned - but it won't alert you to new threads or posts in threads you haven't looked at.

At least I think what I am saying is correct. @SatNavSaysStraightOn may be able to explain it more comprehensively.

I tend to use 'new posts' more often because that displays all new posts - with the rider that it will display the most recent post in the thread (so sometimes there are posts preceding it which you may not have read). This way I read every new post that is made - but then, I'm a mod so its quite useful to do that!

My alerts often miss out some items, even though I may be watching the thread or have posted in it. In fact sometimes it misses out a lot of the items, which is why I sometimes don't pick up on replies for a few days. I've never had no alerts at all though.

My alerts often miss out some items, even though I may be watching the thread or have posted in it. In fact sometimes it misses out a lot of the items, which is why I sometimes don't pick up on replies for a few days. I've never had no alerts at all though.

Well it operates according to logical rules so it shouldn't sometimes miss things. I will have to ask @SatNavSaysStraightOn to explain exactly what does and doesn't show in Alerts.

'New posts' is much more useful if you don't want to miss things IMHO.

I've noticed a missing alert here and there lately as well.

I'm not sure what can have happened. Is it back to normal now?

Not really. Sometimes it picks up quite a few but it's difficult to determine if it's missed anything. When I shut my lap top (around 20:00) I only close the lid leaving it on standby but I usually close most of the tabs anyway. There were definitely some alerts missing this morning. It could be my browser, of course. I am currently using Firefox v. 60.0.1.

Sometimes I see all alerts, but lately I've only been getting around 75% of them.

@SatNavSaysStraightOn - can you cast your eye and wisdom over the above issues?

I used to use alerts a lot but now I just use 'New Posts' in the green toolbar. That will list the newest post that you haven't read in every thread. There can be a few unread posts before the newest one of course.

This system really works for me because I literally read every new post (which is quite easily done given we are a low volume).

One way to make this work for you is to mark all forums as read (top left in green toolbar). From then on if you click 'new posts' it will show you all the new posts, so you won't miss anything. It may not suit everyone of course. It depends how you use the forum.

Last edited:
Strangely enough, today I had more alerts than I've had in the last fortnight - 12 whereas I have been getting 4 or 5.

Strangely enough, today I had more alerts than I've had in the last fortnight - 12 whereas I have been getting 4 or 5.
Me too - I've had 24 today. I expected a lot when I came back on here but there were only 36, and only a few all the other days.

What I find is that it is worse in the threads you would expect to be high volume ones such as What did you cook/eat today, or the more general chat threads. I can get an alert to a post which states quite clearly there may be more posts after this, and I do look at them all. When I get another alert for that thread, I find not only the post I was alerted about but several others posted earlier (i.e. since I last looked at that thread) that I hear nothing about at all. Watching the thread or following any particular person on here does not seem to make any difference as to whether I get alerts or not.

Ah, not a missing alert as such, but I've just received an alert (at 1.30) about @buckytom's post in the What did you cook/eat today thread timed at 12.06 a.m. That post was not showing up when I replied to @morning glory's post at 12.37 a.m.

Back
Top Bottom