All Purpose Seasoning.

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
4:51 PM
I was given this yesterday and haven't a clue what to do with it. I've looked on their website but all it appears to have is the ingredients and nutrition information.

Does anyone use this or another brand of similar seasoning (I believe "MasterFoods" is Australian)?

All Purpose Seasoning s.jpg

Though we very rarely use it, we have a bottle of seasoned salt by Lawry. I actually can't remember what we used it for. Probably an ingredient in a BBQ rub or sauce. I used to use it on flank steak when grilling, but that was a long time ago.

I expect there might be a clue in the phrase 'all purpose'. :D

I'd just experiment and shake it on vegetables, eggs or as @CraigC says, use it as a rub.

I will be having battered fish tomorrow or Monday. Should I put some in the batter? Or season the fish (cod) with it prior to cooking?

Or should I just leave it until the end of the year and then bin it?

Have you tasted it by itself? That would be my choice to give me an idea of how to use it.

I will be having battered fish tomorrow or Monday. Should I put some in the batter? Or season the fish (cod) with it prior to cooking?

Or should I just leave it until the end of the year and then bin it?

I'd season the fish with it before battering. But as @CraigC says - taste a bit first.

Though we very rarely use it, we have a bottle of seasoned salt by Lawry. I actually can't remember what we used it for. Probably an ingredient in a BBQ rub or sauce. I used to use it on flank steak when grilling, but that was a long time ago.

When I was a kid, I used to love Lawry's seasoned salt on split baked potatoes. Butter was much more expensive in comparison back then, so my parents let us have away with salty things.

And now I have high blood pressure. But low cholesterol. Shoulda used butter.

Have you tasted it by itself? That would be my choice to give me an idea of how to use it.

I've opened it and tasted it. It reminds me a little of OXO so I don't think that I'll bother adding it to the fish. I'll maybe try it on a pork chop or pork steak. The saltiness will overpower a gammon steak.

I bought some from Tesco a few years ago to use on steak. I've never replaced it though - didn't quite see the point, and it was salty.

Fwiw I'd bin it, I like to use things that are labelled. ie, like all herbs give their own distinctive flavours, that one you posted could be anything? May as well be labelled mystery?

Russ

Personally I would expect that the ingredients are the clue as to how to use it, but I guess that might spoil the surprise!

Salt, Garlic 24% (contains naturally occurring Sulphites), Sugar, Onion 7%, Rice Flour, Paprika 5%, Pepper 3%, Celery Seed, Clove, Coriander Seed, Cumin, Cardamom, Vegetable Oil, Chilli, Nutmeg, Colour (paprika Oleoresin), Garlic Extract 0.5%

In a TV programme I was watching today, James Martin said use a [suitable] stock cube and crumble that over whatever you were cooking. In last weekend's James Martin's Saturday Morning show, he more or less repeated this by saying use a beef stock cube to crumble over a steak (I take it he didn't mean OXO cubes, which I find to be horrendously salty and taste awful whatever flavour they are).

Back
Top Bottom