All Things Picnic!

I think there's an echo here.

Oh, hang on, I forgot to read the posts that came before :laugh: :laugh:
And completely off subject, I read today that Asian hornets are invading the UK and killing all the bees:eek::eek:
1693925900279.png

I think there's an echo here.

Oh, hang on, I forgot to read the posts that came before :laugh: :laugh:
And completely off subject, I read today that Asian hornets are invading the UK and killing all the bees:eek::eek:View attachment 104574

Asian Carp are invading the rivers of the mid-west. All this worry about "invading Mexicans" in America, while Asians are invading the world. :eek:

CD

Asian Carp are invading the rivers of the mid-west.
and in the Caribbean, we've got Lion Fish. No natural predators, reproduce like rabbits, poison spines on the back, can stay alive an inordinately long time out of the sea, and they eat all the corals and baby fish.
A local restaurant I did some work for actually cooks them, and they're really delicious. However - you have to catch them by hand/with a speargun, which is not exactly a productive business.

Bees are benign. They are not aggressive unless they are threatened. I had a landscaping business and frequently worked surrounded by bees. Wasp and hornets are another story. I remember working in a client's yard and disturbing a nest of ground hornets. OMG!! They were ruthless. My client had a swimming pool. I jumped in thinking the wasp would leave me alone. Wrong! They hovered over my head and attacked every time I came up for air. I had to dive to the bottom of the pool and find my way to the steps then run like a crazy person taking my shirt off as I went because a wasp had latched on and would not stop stinging. I called my client and let him know that I had left tools and a shirt in his yard. :hyper: Mrs. Client called with great sympathy and apologies. Then we laughed like fools when she talked about Mr. dousing the nest with gasoline and setting it on fire. He torched a palm tree in the process.

We used to live with bees and hornets and sometimes wasps living in the roof of one of the houses we rented. The bees were large ground nesting bumblebees, harmless.

The wasps were a pain because the cold water tank wasn't covered initially (we covered it the next winter) and they'd drown and end up in the bath water. But once a wasp leaves the nest at the end of the season, they never reuse it (UK wasps), so they weren't too much of a problem.

The hornets constructed the most amazing nest in the roof. If we left them alone, they weren't a problem except for 1 specific circumstance, at night if we'd left the room light on. They were attached to it and would land on the window and you could hear them grinding away at the glass trying to get in! We learnt very quickly to not put the lights on until the blackout curtains had been drawn, something we didn't usually do living in the middle of nowhere with no neighbours and no-one who could see us.

Back
Top Bottom