Recipe Alligator Stuffed Eggplant

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
10:59 AM
A Southern twist to a recipe, with a bit of bite!

Ingedients
1 medium or 2 small eggplants
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup diced onions
2 teaspoons of chopped garlic
2 cups of ground alligator tail meat(See Note)
5 canned tomatos, diced, liquid reserved
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to tatse
3/4 cup of breadcrumbs
3/4 cup of cheddar cheese
1/4 cup chopped, fresh parsley

Method
  • Pre-heat oven to 350F. In a large pot, cover the eggplants with water and boil until slightly tender.
  • Cut each eggplant in half, lengthwise. Usins a paring knife, cut a border so that 1/2 inch of of flesh and skin remain around the edge.Slice the flesh within the border lengthwise and crosswise, then scoop out and cube the eggplant pulp(You should have 1 to 2 cups of eggplant cubes) Reserve the eggplant cubes and hollowed out eggplant halves.
  • In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat, and saute the oninons and garlic until transparent, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in the cooked alligator meat, eggplant cubes, diced tomatos,and reserved tomato liquid. Add the salt, pepper, cayenne. Cook over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes, until eggplant is cooked.
  • Add the breadcrumbs to the meat mixture and toss to coat. Place equal amounts of the meat mixture into each reserved eggplant half. Sprinkle each eggplant half with cheddar cheese
  • Bake for approx 20 minutes, until slightly browned. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.

Note:
Place alligator meat into a food processor, fitted with the metal blade. Grind using the pulse button, scaping down the sides as needed. Heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat in a large non-stick or cast iron skillet. Crumble the sausage meat into the cooking until completely browned and no longer pink.

B. Smith Cooks Southern-Style

Missed a step.

Barbara Smith

Last edited:
:roflmao:
No way can I get alligator in Maidstone. However, it is said that it tastes like chicken with a bit of a fishy taste. Perhaps I could mince chicken and a chuck in some fish sauce. I'm taking this seriously: what is the cheese for? Its not mentioned in the 'Method'. I would have thought that it should be put over the top of the stuffed aubergines and put back in the oven until the cheese melts but this is not mentioned.

No way can I get alligator in Maidstone. However, it is said that it tastes like chicken with a bit of a fishy taste. Perhaps I could mince chicken and a chuck in some fish sauce. I'm taking this seriously: what is the cheese for? Its not mentioned in the 'Method'. I would have thought that it should be put over the top of the stuffed aubergines and put back in the oven until the cheese melts but this is not mentioned.
https://www.alternativemeats.co.uk/ Claim to be able to supply it.

Missed a bit.

Don't know how far this feller is? But he's one of two in the area.
Well, he has a crocodile and not alligator... and I suspect he wouldn't take kindly to me trying to harvest his pet. I liked this bit though:
“It doesn’t cost much to keep a crocodile once you are set up and he doesn’t eat every day. He can go for ages without eating and in fact he has only just started eating again since December.” (News article was published in April).

I think I am going to leave you folks, Mr Feller and Ceasar to work out who's going to have some of this Alligator Stuff Eggplant. Count me out.

I think I am going to leave you folks, Mr Feller and Ceasar to work out who's going to have some of this Alligator Stuff Eggplant. Count me out.
Counting on you to taste it!!
Not afraid of your food biting back are you?

Gee, this looks like an exotic recipe for eggplant. I don't think I have the stomach for alligator meat. It is a rare meat here although I had seen a store that sells what they call croco meat. They also have croco burger that is very expensive, almost 3 times the cost of the ordinary burger. I think I would like to sample your eggplant dish but without the croco meat. I can imagine the taste of cheese in the eggplant.

Back
Top Bottom