The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
8:22 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
IMG_0995.JPG

This one falls under the "I ate it at, and then tried to duplicate it" motivation for cooking. Almond cookies are available at Chinese restaurants throughout the US...they're essentially sugar cookies with almond in them. I've seen some recipes that use vanilla extract - which means it could have qualified for the Spice Challenge - but I can't imagine making these without almond extract. Besides, I use vanilla extract all the time, but when else am I ever going to use my almond extract?

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking power
1 cup roughly chopped almonds

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Blend together butter and sugars for a few minutes, until thoroughly combined.
  3. Beat eggs separately, then stream into the bowl while running the mixer on low. Continue blending and add almond extract until combined.
  4. Add one cup of flour to the bowl while blending, then add baking powder, then gradually add remaining flour until fully combined. Blend in almonds until distributed evenly.
  5. Using a tablespoon or small cookie scoop, place dough on ungreased cookie sheets about three inches apart to prevent cookies from bleeding together. Only bake one rack of cookies at a time to ensure even baking.
  6. Bake 10-12 minutes or until browned around the edges. Remove baking sheets from oven and allow to rest for a few minutes before removing to racks to cool. Remove cookies carefully, since the high butter content means they'll still be soft until they cool completely.
  7. Repeat baking remaining cookies, ensuring that baking sheets are only on one rack.

@The Late Night Gourmet

You are timely .. I bake cookies with my 2 grandsons every Christmas ( 23rd ) and these sound lovely as they are not too sweet and we all love almonds as we produce them here ..

On the Bucket List .. Yes, I recall in Chinatown San Francisco that the restaurant served an almond cookie with the Lychees ..

Have a lovely evening .. Thanks for posting.

@ElizabethB

My husband had the almond cookies and I had the Lychees. We each had a taste of each other´s dessert with a Chinese Herbal Tea.

I avoid bleached flour at all costs however, like The Late Night Gourmet, the almond cookies were prepared with Almond Flour ..

Have a lovely day ..

Back
Top Bottom