Recipe Almond Garlic Gnocchi

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
8:31 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com

I made this so much more difficult than it needed to be, but I’m happy with how it came together. First of all, the lumpiness is not because of the almonds: it's because I decided to use rutabaga, which didn't go through a ricer, and didn't mash up as well as I would have liked. Had I used potato, this would have been a simple variation of a standard gnocchi. Getting it to stay together didn't turn out to be the problem I expected (since rutabaga lacks the starch that potatoes have), but it needed more flour than I wanted because it was sticky. Fortunately, the end result was very tasty...tasty enough that I would make it again, despite the If time permits before the deadline, I might just retool this recipe and give it a go that way.

Ingredients

1 pound rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1" chunks
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 garlic clove, grated
3 ounces almonds
1 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1/4 cup flour

Directions

1. Whisk grated garlic into the oil in a bowl. Toss rutabaga chunks in the oil. Arrange rutabaga on a baking sheet. Bake at 350°F (176°C) until a toothpick can be easily inserted into the rutabaga chunks. Remove from tray and allow to cool somewhat.

2. Mash up rutabaga using potato masher.

3. Place almonds in a food processor or spice grinder. Process until the almond has been reduced to a powder. Remove any chunks that are not processed.

4. Combine all ingredients in a bowl.

5. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Prepare a bowl with ice water on the counter near the pot.

6. Roll mixture into a rod about 1/2" in diameter. Cut the mixture into small pieces.

7. Working in batches, drop the chunks of dough into the water, making sure to not crowd the pan. When the chunks float to the top of the water, scoop them out with a slotted spoon and place in the ice water. Once the chunks have cooled for at least a minute, transfer to a paper towel. Repeat until all the gnocchi is cooked.

8. Serve with a drizzle of melted butter.

I love he way you experiment. I reckon mixing the flavours of almonds with rutabaga (swede in the UK) is a great idea.

which didn't go through a ricer, and didn't mash up as well as I would have liked.

Maybe use a mix of potato and rutabaga? I don't know if that would go much smoother though.

Back
Top Bottom