Almond Milk Lawsuit

OhioTom76

Guru
Local time
9:56 PM
Apparently someone discovered that a popular brand of Almond Milk barely contains any actual almonds, and there is an upcoming lawsuit citing deceptive advertising around the product:

http://www.citylab.com/navigator/2015/07/almond-milk-may-only-be-2-almondand-thats-ok/400040/

Part of me is not surprised by this at all, considering the amount of actual almonds it takes to make it from scratch - there was no way they could be using several pounds of almonds to make one small carton of the milk, then only selling it for a few bucks. Almond milk made from scratch generally contains about 25% almond product in it vs. the commercially available stuff which apparently only contains about 2% almond product. The rest is filler, plant lethicin and carragean gum (seaweed), to give it it's viscosity and mouth feel.

I drink this all the time. It doesn't really bother me, as the reason I use it in place of milk is because its a fraction of the calories! I suppose it might bother me if I was drinking it for health reasons.

The whole idea is a fallacy anyway. Almonds do not provide milk , they are not mammals - they provide a whitish substance that people turn into a liquid they have chosen to call 'milk'. By all means call it almond goo or almond slime or even 'stuff that looks like milk but we make it in a factory' but it is not and can never be milk.

Dairy milk is well mostly water anyhow, so I personally don't see what all the fuss is about. :scratchhead:
Like most of these things the 'fuss' is that someone has discovered they can make a whole load of cash by not doing anything for it. A bit sad really but in a world where far too many people see compensation claims / law suits as a career choice I guess it will continue.

If you are not drinking it for lack of not being able to drink cows milk then the case should stand for this reason!
But I am sure it's another product that when or if changed people won't like it ,
Like when horse meat was taken out of the lasagna a in Aldi people preferred the old nag recipe ,but the argument is people has rights to know what their food contains,so the case will stand

Back
Top Bottom