The Alphabet Game: Dishes using Za'atar

So, this raises a rules question: Is it acceptable to use an English word for a dish in a non-English cuisine? I didn't think that was the case. That's why my X-entry (the German word for the food item) seemed appropriate, but apparently it wasn't for some reason.

I think its acceptable for this game. Especially if you can find a reference to the dish in English. And in any case there are hundreds of examples of English names for non-English dishes - for example 'Aubergine (or Eggplant) Parmigiana' which is 'Parmigiana di melanzane' or 'Melanzane alla parmigiana', in Italian.

The only reason I queried your yam entry for this particular game was 'cos I don't think yams are a particular German food speciality. So it would be like entering Apfle for the German 'A' or Banane for 'B'.

The only reason I queried your yam entry for this particular game was 'cos I don't think yams are a particular German food speciality.
They certainly aren't a specialty. I just picked them because I know some German, and it's more of a food that someone in Germany would eat than, say, yak meat (Yakfleisch). Beyond yaks and yams, I couldn't think of anything else.

Is that a Polish speciality?

Could have: Hevelius Kaper

Hevelius Kaper is a European Strong Lager style beer brewed by Elbrewery Co. Ltd. in Elblag, Poland

View attachment 32896

I didn't know the dishes or drinks had to be a specialty, nor am I familiar with European brands not offered in the USA. "I" is also going to be a hard one.

I didn't know the dishes or drinks had to be a specialty,

Well - only in the sense that otherwise we could list any dish, drink or ingredient in the whole world - as long as it begins with the letter in question when translated to Polish (or whatever country we have chosen for the game). So for S we could have Szkockie Jajka, which is Scotch eggs. Or for L we could have Lazania which is Lasagne. For 'I' we could have Imbir which is ginger. But Poland isn't known for ginger recipes as far as I know.

Last edited:
Moving on... found a gingery 'I':

Ingwer beer from C.K Browar brewery. Third one down on this beer menu from Krakow:

Sorry, this is all I could find for J

John Buko's Polish Kieba Hamburgers

Back
Top Bottom