Alternatives to Clingfilm

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
5:29 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I'm wondering how many of us here actually use alternatives to clingfilm/plastic wrap?

I do. Mine are fabric with vegan wax coating. I find the alternative wax to bees wax actually Is easier to use and whilst they take a little getting used to they do work really well once you do have the hang of them. And they wash with a little washing up liquid and cool water. Hot will melt the fabric wax...

I also happen to have some of the wax so I can melt it onto my own fabric.

pulled tight, they do form an airtight seal, though in colder weather, aka winter, warming the edges with your hands helps to make it sick better.

I hate cling film. It ends up in a little ball when I handle it, and I have to yell profanities as I throw it away and start over.

I either use a plastic airtight container, a zip-lock bag with the air removed, or even use my vacuum sealer on the "gentle" setting (if it will be wrapped for longer amounts of time).

CD

I use my reusable resealable plastic bags from Ikea (these ones but mine are bigger). They're multipurpose plastic bags that I use to store food, freeze food in, and I just wrap them around containers or put bowls inside them to cover food.

Btw I thought about trying beeswax, but I read that beeswax can't be used on raw food and I often used cling film to cover raw food that's marinating. Also the Ikea bags are a lot cheaper and I can get more use out of them.

I do use cling film when I need to, but whenever possible I use stretchy silicone covers like these. They work pretty well so long as the lid and the bowl are both dry, they aren't so good for non-round containers though.

Also the Ikea bags are a lot cheaper and I can get more use out of them.
but I read that beeswax can't be used on raw food

I use the Ikea bags as well even washing them to reuse but quite frankly these serve a totally different purpose to the bags. the bags also give up quite easily now that they are more biodegradable (we've used them for 1½ decades or so). I've found after the 3rd or 4th use & wash, that they are no longer air tight.

I've not heard anything about beeswax and raw food, but mine at least are not beeswax. I've yet to actually throw one of them away for having given up or perished... I use them a lot to cover bowls of food, both in the fridge and on the table/countertop/outside inn the summer. the Ikea plastic bags just wouldn't work in those instances. the bags don't go big enough to cover things like my salad bowls or pyrex bowls with them, whereas these are any size you want if you make your own, and come in a range of handy sizes if you buy them ready made.

I use cling film quite a lot. However, alternatives over in Venezuela are few and far between; it´s cling film, aluminiminium foil or greaseproof paper:thumbsdown:
Silicone covers - I don´t get it, probably because I´m to clumsy. I was trying to stretch one over a pot of home-made ranch dressing a few weeks back. I´d get the front part on, then when I got the back bit on, the front part would slip off. Eventually I tried a bit more "pressure" and the damn pot flew across the kitchen and smashed on the floor, depositing ranch all over the place.

Its possible to buy compostable cling film here but it seems to be stupidly expensive. The type I use is recyclable, as are quite a few on sale here these days.

Edit: just found this compostable one that I can get at a fairly reasonable price.

I'm wondering how many of us here actually use alternatives to clingfilm/plastic wrap?

I do. Mine are fabric with vegan wax coating. I find the alternative wax to bees wax actually Is easier to use and whilst they take a little getting used to they do work really well once you do have the hang of them. And they wash with a little washing up liquid and cool water. Hot will melt the fabric wax...

View attachment 77030

View attachment 77031

I also happen to have some of the wax so I can melt it onto my own fabric.

pulled tight, they do form an airtight seal, though in colder weather, aka winter, warming the edges with your hands helps to make it sick better.
What is it called? This way I can find them here in Canada. I hate the cling wrap as it doesn't stay in place.

Sometimes I'll use disposable clear shower caps for large things, especially large bowls. They're kind of perfect in that they expand greatly in size, and have an elasticated band that good enough to seal tightly.

I use clingfilm/plastic wrap a lot. I also had terrible issues with it sticking to nothing but itself, but then I switched to Stretch-Tite, and it's the easiest to work with for me.

I order it from Amazon, but I think I they sell it at Costco as well.

Sometimes I'll use disposable clear shower caps for large things, especially large bowls. They're kind of perfect in that they expand greatly in size, and have an elasticated band that good enough to seal tightly.

I do the same and I re-use and re-use rather than dispose. They are perfect for proving bread dough in a bowl.

Right, I do the same with inexpensive plastic Shower Caps when proofing dough, but I've found that if I grease lightly the side that will be coming in contact with the dough, it's much easier once the dough has proofed. AND I throw the Shower Cap into the laundry with the bath towels, as I do the Shower Cap I use in the shower 🙃
I also use alot of airtight re-useable plastic containers aka Rubbermaid & Tupperware - and let's not forget the deli and take out plastic containers with lids, I never throw out those until they've out lived their usefulness.
And I want to mention that here in Cowboyville, AZ, USA our trash collectors separate all recyclables so that they do not go into the landfill.

Back
Top Bottom