1 ½ ounces (3 tablespoons) amaretto
½ ounce (1 tablespoon) bourbon whiskey
1 ounce (2 tablespoons) lemon juice
1 teaspoon simple syrup or maple syrup
1 egg white
2 dashes Angostura bitters
For the garnish: Cocktail cherry or Luxardo cherry, lemon slice

Directions
Add the amaretto, bourbon, lemon juice, syrup, egg white, and bitters to a cocktail shaker without ice. Shake for 15 seconds.
Add the ice to the cocktail shaker. Shake again for 30 seconds.
Strain the drink into a glass; the foam will collect at the top. Garnish with a cocktail cherry.

Recipe courtesy of acouplecooks.com

The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: eggs

Having never has a cocktail with either amaretto or egg white I'm intrigued to try it. Now I do know that amaretto is super sweet. As I have a limited sweet tooth, my question is, would it work without the addition of syrup?

Is that a cute mini sized beer glass? :ohmy:

Having never has a cocktail with either amaretto or egg white I'm intrigued to try it. Now I do know that amaretto is super sweet. As I have a limited sweet tooth, my question is, would it work without the addition of syrup?

It's a teaspoon of syrup, so this drink is not sweet at all. It's not a lip-puckerer, but it falls on the sour side (hence the name).

That is indeed a half-pint dimpled stein, bought in the U.K. I have four of them.

They're actually perfect little all-purpose glasses. They're great for a lot of mixed drinks, but my intention was to use a more traditionally-suited glass. Long story short - I was in the middle of mixing these when stupid work called, and I had to hurry up and get these out and a photo snapped, so I just grabbed what was handy.

Amaretto sours are MrsT's cocktail of choice, and they're usually made with bottled sour mix (sadly), even at proper cocktail bars. I asked her how this one compared to others she's had and she said, "It's equal to the best ones I've ever had - not better, but equal."

An amaretto sour is a pretty common thing here. It is my sister's cocktail of choice.

CD

Back
Top Bottom