An Easier (And Safer) Way To Make Bacon Wrapped Shrimp

OhioTom76

Guru
Local time
1:19 PM
I don't know why this never occurred to me until recently, but one of the problems with trying to make bacon wrapped shrimp is the bacon often takes far longer to cook than the shrimp. So you either wind up with rubbery overcooked shrimp or raw-ish bacon.

Obviously you can't use thick cut bacon for a recipe like this, but even thin cut bacon can take a bit too long to cook, plus you have to handle all that raw bacon when preparing them.

An easier option, (sorry if this was already apparent to everyone else on here, lol) - just use the pre-cooked bacon. It's typically very thinly sliced and it's safe to eat and handle right out of the package. All you do is just warm it for a few seconds until it becomes soft and pliable, then wrap it around the shrimp to cook. You may need to warm the bacon in small batches though so it doesn't firm back up.

I like to season them with a low sodium cajun seasoning blend like Tony Chachere's, before grilling or frying them in a skillet.

I've never had shrimp wrapped bacon but umm, this sounds interesting! Do you wrap the bacon around raw shrimp or do you coat your shrimp with something? I can't eat plain shrimp is why I'm
Asking. Overall, this sounds like something I want to try.

What happens if you cook the shrimp until it's just pink on the surface, wrap the bacon and stick it in the oven? That way the juice and fat from the bacon will get soaked into the shrimp, and the shrimp will be cooked completely.

I normally go with the pre-cooked bacon when it comes to using it via wrapping it up in shrimp. I'm always so afraid of over cooking or under cooking shrimp because of how easily most people seem to get sick from seafood if not made properly. There is now even a canned bacon that comes pre-cooked but I have yet to try that in correlation with this recipe.

That us a really good idea. I love vac on wrapped shrimp...or really anything with bacon! There is a way to make wrapped shrimp with thick cut bacon. You just have to fry the bacon in a pan until it is good and done and then wrap in around the shrimp and then bake it all together. Thick cut bacon is bendable until the point it is really done and it still has enough pliability to work with. The only time you run into problems is when both meats are raw when you wrap the shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom