An Oatmeal questions for Brits & Scots

FowlersFreeTime

Local time
4:42 AM
Website
www.fowlersfreetime.com
During my recent trip to the UK, I discovered that my dear wife really loved the oatmeal she had over there. I did not take pictures, nor did I order it myself. I'm more a fan of the Full English... I digress. The oatmeal she enjoyed was more like a porridge and less like the steel-cut oats I make or the instant (rolled?) oats that are typical in American supermarkets. She enjoyed this creamy oat porridge in both England and Scotland. What ingredients and recipe should I be looking for to recreate this dish? I know Satnav and MG will probably know exactly what I'm talking about.

Do I look for "Ground oats" like mentioned in this thread? Oatmeal
Are there specific "Porridge oats" I should be looking for as mentioned in this thread? How often do you Eat Oatmeal?

I can buy these here:

But I’ve never tried them. I will say, my favorite oats I ever had was at a “Taste of Scotland” hotel, so I get what your wife is on about.

Scott´s Porage Oats - I was brung up on those .
Apparently , "The oats are rolled thicker than standard oats and are gently kilned to create what the company considers to be "the truest taste"
Didn´t know that - Wiki told me.
Tastier when removed from the top shelf:

I'll leave this one to SatNavSaysStraightOn. My only thought is that (traditionally) a good porridge is cooked a long time. I doubt that your hotel porridge was though. I think its simply the type of oats.
So I take it there will be no insta-pot cheating here, traditional low and slow will probably be the only way (unless it comes down to a different style of oats).

Yeah, Jeff Bezos needs another rocket. :rolleyes:

CD
At the risk of incurring MG's off-topic warning... I hate how dependent I am on Amazon, but its a fact of life.

Back on topic though, my intent wasn't simply to find an instant product on a certain online retailer, but rather to understand what makes the oatmeal different to what we have here. So far I've gathered that the primary difference is that the oats we ate were ground rather than rolled or steelcut and the cooking time can have a big impact on the mouthfeel of the final product.

For me, it has always been thick rolled oats, no instant stuff, no ground stuff, no steel cut (didn't even know that existed until about 10 years ago).

The rolled oats are soaked in milk overnight then cooked on a long slow simmer for 30 minutes or more until the desired thickness has been obtained. Extra milk is added right at the very last minute. Roughly ⅓rd cup of oats to 1 cup of milk per person.

I do like the oats that TR posted though the pack looks slightly different. I'll have a peep to see what the difference is in a minute

I was just reading an article from the Daily Mail and it seems that the major difference is the type of oat being used, is my
understanding.
Pinhead Oats ... but when I do a search for them, they seem to be unavailable, anywhere. I did find one site that claimed that they would have them available come May 27th I recall...

Back
Top Bottom