Anchovies

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:25 PM
Recently mentioned in another thread - do you love them or hate them? There are many ways they can be used. One old school favourite is making pockets in a leg of lamb and stuffing anchovies into them before roasting. The anchovies melt away but really enhance the flavour.

How do you use them?

Pretty much as a seasoning that enhances a dish and has people wondering what that flavor is.

A few bits in something like Caesar Salad dressing is ok, Part of the ingredients.

But to sit down & just gorge out on them, or to order them on a pizza, I don't think so!! Does anyone know just how wicked salty those things are?!! :sick:

Last edited:
There are different kinds of anchovies. Some are packed in salt, some in oil, and some are fresh.

I love them all. A tin of anchovies in oil and a crust of bread makes for a hearty breakfast. Salted achovies, chopped and melted into sauces, pastas, and dressings is your umami ingredient.

And fresh, grilled anchovies are a delight alongside Spanish rice, peas, and tostones.

All of the above! My wife makes a killer Caesar dressing that has about four times the usual amount of both anchovies and garlic. Stuffed into a lamb joint along with garlic and rosemary. Rarely eat pizza, but when I do I always have extra anchovies on top. There is a pot of Gentleman's Relish in the fridge that needs using up - breakfast beckons!

I am now thinking that I don't use anchovies enough. There must be other pairings that work.

image.jpg

Do I put it on my hair, or on toast?

Or on my John Thompson.

It looks remarkably unlike a fish.

You hopefully don't work in sales in this industry, do you?

It looks remarkably unlike a fish.

You hopefully don't work in sales in this industry, do you?

Gentleman's Relish is a type of anchovy paste. It is also known as Patum Peperium (in the style of Latin). It was created in 1828 by an Englishman named John Osborn. It has a strong, very salty and slightly fishy taste, and contains anchovies (minimum 60%), butter, herbs and spices.

If anchovies work so well on a pizza, how about on the ultimate toasted cheese sandwich?

Back
Top Bottom