Ancient Grains

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
7:13 AM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
Today's wheat, at least in the US, is a lot different than older wheat grains. Fortunately, we now see farro, spelt emmer and kamut wheat grains making a comeback. I'm currently making a recipe that asks me to use farro. It is a whole grain (at least in this format), and I'm currently soaking it prior to cooking it.

Do any of you use wheat-related grains such as this in your cooking? The first time I ran into farro was at a restaurant, when it came with the main dish. It had a solid texture, some would say "nutty". I absolutely loved it, even more than the main it came with!
I'd like to see/learn what you do!

Apparently, these grains have been minimally changed over the centuries. Some gluten-sensitive people (though not true celiacs) can eat these grains with little or no difficulty.

(Since the dish I am making with farro is actually being made for the Cookery Book thread... I'm hopeful it will be posted soon...)

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve written an article about farro that I’ll post later. In Italy, Farro - Spelta, it has been the first wheat grain to be cultivated and ate, the ancient Romans did this and it was especially used to feed soldiers. Then Farro was almost disappeared because of wheat - frumento, easier to manage.
There are lots of cultivars especially in Central Italy, Tuscany, Umbria and Lazio.
You are right, it has a nutty taste and I love it too.
I’ll come back to this thread later, is very interesting!

I thought it might be useful to add a definition of 'Ancient Grain'. Here is Wiki:

Ancient grains are a grouping of grains and pseudocereals that are considered to have been minimally changed by selective breeding over recent millennia, as opposed to more widespread cereals such as corn, rice and modern varieties of wheat, which are the product of thousands of years of selective breeding. Ancient grains are often marketed as being more nutritious than modern grains, though their health benefits have been disputed by some nutritionists.

Ancient grains include varieties of wheat: spelt, Khorasan wheat (Kamut), freekeh, bulgur, farro, einkorn, and emmer; the grains millet, barley, teff, oats, and sorghum; and the pseudocereals quinoa, amaranth, buckwheat, and chia. Modern wheat is a hybrid descendant of three wheat species considered to be ancient grains: spelt, einkorn, and emmer.

Farro, spelt, épeautre ..

I've been using petit épeautre in my breadmaking for a year or two. I'd always thought that this was 'light spelt'.

However, last night I was given some farine d'épeautre (not petit) which I was curious about.

So .. I've researched it and ..

petit épeautre is Triticum monococcum .. or einkorn (I had no idea)

épeautre (also known as grand épeautre) - is Triticum Spelta .. or spelt.

This is of no interest to anyone I'm sure … but I'm a much wiser breadmaker now.

Back
Top Bottom