Recipe Andouille gnocchi with spicy tomato sauce

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
1:30 PM
This recipe comes from Emeril's New New Orleans cookbook. We use the andouille we make and it's a fairly dry, i.e. just enough fat for it to taste good, but not be greasy sausage. It is a cured, then smoked sausage. You could probably also use Italian sausage or Kielbasa like sausages, you would just have to cook (with the garlic added at last minute of cooking) and thoroughly drain them before grinding/chopping. The technique for shaping these is different from traditional gnocchi and they are a bit bigger, but are still great and, believe it or not, pretty light for a sausage/potato dumpling.

2018-08-18 17.40.25.jpg

Serves 4

2 large baking potatoes (close to 2 pounds in total)
3 cups Spicy Tomato Sauce (1-1/2 recipes, double if you like a lot of sauce), recipe follows
1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp olive oil
6 ounces finely chopped andouille sausage
1 tsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 tsp chopped fresh oregano
1-1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3/4 tsp Emeril's Creole Seasoning, recipe follows
1 large egg
3/4 cup coarsely grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
1/2 cup plus 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour, plus more for bench
1 cup milk
5 cups water
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (garnish)

Prepare the spicy tomato sauce.

Microwave or bake the potatoes until tender. Let sit until cool enough to handle.

Grind the andouille, garlic, oregano and basil in a food processor until finely ground (or chop extremely finely with a knife). In a small frying pan over high heat, add 1 Tbsp oil. Add to the frying pan and saute for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, let cool for a few minutes.

Peel and rice the potatoes into a large bowl. Add 1 tsp salt, the pepper, the Cresole seasoning, and 1/4 cup cheese. Toss to mix with your hands. Beat the egg in a small bowl and add to the potatoes. Gently mix. Add the sausage mixture and gently mix. Add 1/2 cup flour plus 3 Tbsp and gently mix with your hands, adding in a little more flour if too soft. You want a fairly soft mix, but one that will hold together when boiled. Using a rounded 1/2 Tbsp of dough, form balls. Hold a ball in your palm, make an indentation with your thumb, then lightly close your hand to make a more oval type shape. Repeat for each ball, placing them on a floured board.

2018-08-18 17.22.54.jpg

In a large pot over high heat, combine the milk and the water, bring to a boil. Add a tablespoon or so of salt like you would to cook pasta. Add about half of the gnocchi and poach for 4-5 minutes, stirring gently after a couple of minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove gnocchi as they float and place into a colander. Once they are all cooked, I lightly rinse them off with very hot tap water to get rid of the milk film. Be careful and delicate with them as they are soft.

Reheat the tomato sauce while the gnocchi are cooking over low heat.

To serve, spoon 1/3 cup or more sauce into each of 4 shallow bowls. Place 1/4 of gnocchi on top, then
add a little more sauce. Sprinkle each serving with some of the Parmesan, and top with 1 Tbsp chopped basil.

Spicy tomato sauce (make 1-1/2 to 2 times recipe)

1 Tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup chopped onions
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1/4 cup finely chopped carrots
1 cup peeled, seeded, and chopped tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1-1/2 cups chicken stock

In a large saucepan over medium high heat. add oil, then onions, salt, and black pepper and saute until onions are translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients except for stock, stir to mix, add the stock, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and puree using a blender or immersion blender. Set aside.

Emeril's Creole Seasoning

2-1/2 tsp sweet paprika
2 tsp salt
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme

Combine all ingredients. Store in a tightly sealed glass jar or plastic container.

Last edited:
I've never come across sausage added to gnocchi - I mean as part of the gnocchi mixture, but why not? I wonder if there are Italian recipes which also do this.

I kind of doubt it. It seems to be a pushing the boundaries recipe, but it does work surprisingly, even though they are a bit delicate and you have to be careful with them after cooking (added that to recipe). I thought they would fall apart first time we made them.

I kind of doubt it. It seems to be a pushing the boundaries recipe, but it does work surprisingly, even though they are a bit delicate and you have to be careful with them after cooking (added that to recipe). I thought they would fall apart first time we made them.
I like the way this recipe pushes boundaries - it would be interesting to know if @MypinchofItaly knows of any Italian gnocchi which have meat in them.

This recipe comes from Emeril's New New Orleans cookbook. We use the andouille we make and it's a fairly dry, i.e. just enough fat for it to taste good, but not be greasy sausage. It is a cured, then smoked sausage. You could probably also use Italian sausage or Kielbasa like sausages, you would just have to cook (with the garlic added at last minute of cooking) and thoroughly drain them before grinding/chopping. The technique for shaping these is different from traditional gnocchi and they are a bit bigger, but are still great and, believe it or not, pretty light for a sausage/potato dumpling.

View attachment 18600

Serves 4

2 large baking potatoes (close to 2 pounds in total)
3 cups Spicy Tomato Sauce (1-1/2 recipes, double if you like a lot of sauce), recipe follows
1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp olive oil
6 ounces finely chopped andouille sausage
1 tsp minced garlic
1-1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp Emeril's Creole Seasoning, recipe follows
1 large egg
3/4 cup coarsely grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
1/2 cup plus 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour, plus more for bench
1 cup milk
5 cups water
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (garnish)

Prepare the spicy tomato sauce.

Microwave or bake the potatoes until tender. Let sit until cool enough to handle.

Grind the andouille, garlic, oregano and basil in a food processor until finely ground (or chop extremely finely with a knife). In a small frying pan over high heat, add 1 Tbsp oil. Add to the frying pan and saute for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, let cook for a few minutes.

Peel and rice the potatoes into a large bowl. Add 1 tsp salt, the pepper, the Cresole seasoning, and 1/4 cup cheese. Toss to mix with your hands. Beat the egg in a small bowl and add to the potatoes. Gently mix. Add the sausage mixture and gently mix. Add 1/2 cup flour plus 3 Tbsp and gently mix with your hands, adding in a little more flour if too soft. You want a fairly soft mix, but one that will hold together when boiled. Using a rounded 1/2 Tbsp of dough, form balls. Hold a ball in your palm, make an indentation with your thumb, then lightly close your hand to make a more oval type shape. Repeat for each ball, placing them on a floured board.

In a large pot over high heat, combine the milk and the water, bring to a boil. Add a tablespoon or so of salt like you would to cook pasta. Add about half of the gnocchi and poach for 4-5 minutes, stirring gently after a couple of minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove gnocchi as they float and place into a colander. Once they are all cooked, I lightly rinse them off with very hot tap water to get rid of the milk film. Be careful and delicate with them as they are soft.

Reheat the tomato sauce while the gnocchi are cooking over low heat.

To serve, spoon 1/3 cup or more sauce into each of 4 shallow bowls. Place 1/4 of gnocchi on top, then
add a little more sauce. Sprinkle each serving with some of the Parmesan, and top with 1 Tbsp chopped basil.

Spicy tomato sauce (make 1-1/2 to 2 times recipe)

1 Tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup chopped onions
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1/4 cup finely chopped carrots
1 cup peeled, seeded, and chopped tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1-1/2 cups chicken stock

In a large saucepan over medium high heat. add oil, then onions, salt, and black pepper and saute until onions are translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients except for stock, stir to mix, add the stock, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and puree using a blender or immersion blender. Set aside.

Emeril's Creole Seasoning

2-1/2 tsp sweet paprika
2 tsp salt
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme

Combine all ingredients. Store in a tightly sealed glass jar or plastic container.

I have never heard these gnocchi before, I'm very intrigued. I'm discovering interesting recipes in this challenge! :okay:

Last edited:
I've never come across sausage added to gnocchi - I mean as part of the gnocchi mixture, but why not? I wonder if there are Italian recipes which also do this.

I looked but couldn't find any recipes for Nduja gnocchi where it was actually incorporated in the gnocchi.

Back
Top Bottom