Angela's coleslaw

garlichead

Über Member
Local time
7:03 PM
[Mod.edit: this recipe has been moved to its own thread as per forum guidelines (MG)]

Would Angela mind if you posted the recipe on the forum? I'd be interested to see it.
Sure. I asked Angela and she said, well I don't have a recipe lol.....

Ingredients
6 C green cabbage, sliced thinly
2 C red cabbage, thinly sliced
1 decent sized onion, grated
2 carrots grated
1 cup of mayo
1-2 tsp sriracha
1-2 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp of white vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Method

Combine the first 4 ingredients with the next 4 and adjust with salt and pepper to your taste.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure. I asked Angela and she said, well I don't have a recipe lol.....

Angela's coleslaw

Ingredients
6 C green cabbage, sliced thinly
2 C red cabbage, thinly sliced
1 decent sized onion, grated
2 carrots grated
1 cup of mayo
1-2 tsp sriracha
1-2 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp of white vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Method

Combine the first 4 ingredients with the next 4 and adjust with salt and pepper to your taste.
I am a big fan of more vinegar-y coleslaw than I am of mayo based slaws. I bet the vinegar in this balances out that mayo quite nicely. And gotta have the garlic, aye? I love to improvise just about everything, no offense to Angela, but I might take this and make it into a lemon-poppyseed (maybe with roasted garlic, too) slaw. I would probably cut the mayo to a few tablespoons. I love the idea of using the red cabbage, the bold color is beautiful in just about everything.

Here's the problem and I'll see if I can explain it, probably not though lol.

Coleslaw to me is no biggy and like I said I can take them or leave them. I also prefer a more vinegar based coleslaw and have been making them that way for many years simply because I was tired of the mayo based slaws. Anyway Angela has been making the coleslaw lately mostly because I can't be bothered and she says "no problem I'll make coleslaw" And they were ok for the most part and were needed for the dishes we made like ribs, burgers etc.

This particular time the alchemy that is a recipe was aligned with the stars resulting in the perfect balance of taste that was uncommonly delicious and was confirmed by almost everyone at the party. How did that happen? was it the ingredients, no because Angela has made this same coleslaw before without this result. She doesn't have a recipe per se, and just winged it like she normally does but with a result that transformed the ingredients.

I have a rule and I have a master recipe book. For restaurant food, I make a conceived dish 3 times before it goes on the menu without exception and I make a recipe a minimum of 5 times and up to 10 times before I put it down on paper and in my master recipe book as a reference going forward and to recall years later. Anyway like I said I'll probably never get the same results Angela did with the recipe she recalled because of the delicate balance that is required to replicate that taste in the amounts given by memory from her.

Back
Top Bottom