Recipe Another Orange Chicken

magnoliasouth

Local time
2:16 PM
This recipe is one that I have tweaked to make it perfect for our tastes. I'm also a lazy cook. I try to use as few dishes as possible. I also hate food prepping. I mean, I love to cook, but I sure wish I had an assistant. lol!

This recipe is different because you don't have to flour the chicken and then fry it. It can be made on the stove, in a slow cooker or even in a pressure cooker. I tend to use the skillet because I love my skillet. I like the no flour because that's one less mess.

Finally, I just want to add that the ingredient list may look long, but you probably already have much of it in your pantry. Enjoy!

• 2 tablespoons of sesame oil
  • 2 pounds of boneless chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 3 cloves of garlic, crushed (I usually use a whole bulb, but that's just me)
  • 1 cup of orange juice (from 3 medium oranges), freshly squeezed, or 'not from concentrate' (more OJ to come)
  • 1/4 cup of chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar (or champagne vinegar, it adds an excellent flavor)
  • 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon of Siracha sauce
  • 1/2 of a 6-oz can of tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup of sugar (or substitute)
  • 1 thumb of peeled and grated ginger
  • 1 teaspoon of hoisin sauce
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons orange juice
  • Add orange zest to taste
* Tip: You can save yourself a lot of time if you whir up the sauce ingredients (from the 1 cup of orange juice to the hoisin sauce) in a blender, and after step 3, pour it into your skillet to deglaze the garlic and chicken.

1. Pour the oil into a heavy bottom pan and heat over medium-high heat.
  2. When it begins to shimmer, brown your chicken on all sides.
  3. Before the chicken is cooked through, add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
  4. Deglaze the skillet with about half the orange juice to scrape up any bits.
  5. Add the rest of the orange juice (to one cup) as well as the broth, vinegar, Siracha, tomato paste, sugar, ginger, and hoisin sauce.
  6. In a small bowl stir the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of orange juice together and when it’s well combined, gently slip it into the sauce and stir.
  7. Reduce heat to simmer, then cook and stir until chicken is cooked through and sauce is thickened. If it gets too thick or runs out of liquid, just add a little water at a time.
  8. Sprinkle with orange zest to taste and serve!
I usually serve this with hot cooked brown rice and my go-to Asian-ish salad with spinach, red cabbage and sliced romas, then use my homemade ginger salad dressing and some Asian crunchies on top.

Man, I need to make this, this week. Lol!

Back
Top Bottom