Any amaryllis fans here.

Lullabelle

Midlands, England
Local time
2:12 PM
We want colour in our lounge and cut flowers just don't last long so was thinking of growing amaryllis.
I remember my mum having some that looked stunning but then again she had a very green thumb. Anyone on here grow them, if so, how easy are they to look after?

uhmmmmm, most amaryllis sold for household blooming are "forced bulbs"
same for paperwhites.
same for tulips.
they are a one shot deal - they bloom, get tossed when done.

growing / cultivating amaryllis for multi-year blooming is a very 'technical' task.
they grow, bloom, bloom fades, maintain leaves to feed bulb, provide proper feeding elements, allow to dry and go dormant at 'the right time' - maintain proper cool/dry-but-not-too-dry storage,,,, etc.
I've had success with Cyclamen varieties in a proper greenhouse; others,,,, no so much

most bulbs raised for the "forced indoor" market do not continue well in subsequent years.

so, yes it's possible but some seriously detailed care required.

Last edited:
uhmmmmm, most amaryllis sold for household blooming are "forced bulbs"
same for paperwhites.
same for tulips.
they are a one shot deal - they bloom, get tossed when done.

growing / cultivating amaryllis for multi-year blooming is a very 'technical' task.
they grow, bloom, bloom fades, maintain leaves to feed bulb, provide proper feeding elements, allow to dry and go dormant at 'the right time' - maintain proper cool/dry-but-not-too-dry storage,,,, etc.
I've had success with Cyclamen varieties in a proper greenhouse; others,,,, no so much

most bulbs raised for the "forced indoor" market do not continue well in subsequent years.

so, yes it's possible but some seriously detailed care required.
Straight to the point! Thank you for confirming that maybe they aren't for me. Looked at a few sites and it looks too much of a faff.

I received amaryllis "Kit" for Christmas. I got two beautiful blooms out of them and no more. I did place the planter outside It is freezing here so doubt it will bloom again. They sure were gorgeous though!

I received amaryllis "Kit" for Christmas. I got two beautiful blooms out of them and no more. I did place the planter outside It is freezing here so doubt it will bloom again. They sure were gorgeous though!

I think that is pretty much how they are here too.

I love Amarylis and other seasonal bulbs. Go for it. You can plant the bulbs in your garden or in larger pots for blooms next year. I can stick the bulbs in the ground or a large pot and not worry about the bulbs freezing. In colder climates you will need to dig up the bulbs to keep them from freezing. In south Louisiana rot is an issue so bulbs need to be planted in deep raised beds.
My Grandfather's favorite flower was St. Joseph's Lily, an old, red Amaryllis hybrid. One year Dad decided to propagate from seed. He ended up with an assortment of blooms, pinks, peaches, striped, all beautiful.

I absolutely love carnations and grow them every year. I get flowers for about 4 months. Love the smell, wife has lilies, and dahlias. Usually a bunch of flowers on our table every day. I love the smell of flowers when you walk into a room or house.

Russ

They need 6 months drought in order to trigger flowering. Some years they flower, some they don't but they grow wild in my garden here.

As you can see from the number of flowers off a single stalk, they appear to be happy. I just ignore them for the most part of the year (either huge clumps of bulbs or huge clumps of leaves) and admire them when they flower (around the hottest driest part of summer after the first rain breaking the drought).

I love Amarylis and other seasonal bulbs. Go for it. You can plant the bulbs in your garden or in larger pots for blooms next year. I can stick the bulbs in the ground or a large pot and not worry about the bulbs freezing. In colder climates you will need to dig up the bulbs to keep them from freezing. In south Louisiana rot is an issue so bulbs need to be planted in deep raised beds.
My Grandfather's favorite flower was St. Joseph's Lily, an old, red Amaryllis hybrid. One year Dad decided to propagate from seed. He ended up with an assortment of blooms, pinks, peaches, striped, all beautiful.
They sound beautiful :)

They need 6 months drought in order to trigger flowering. Some years they flower, some they don't but they grow wild in my garden here.

View attachment 69928

View attachment 69929

View attachment 69930

As you can see from the number of flowers off a single stalk, they appear to be happy. I just ignore them for the most part of the year (either huge clumps of bulbs or huge clumps of leaves) and admire them when they flower (around the hottest driest part of summer after the first rain breaking the drought).

:) they look lovely

Back
Top Bottom