Any professional chefs here?

chefjlin

Veteran
Local time
5:34 AM
Hello everyone! I was wondering if there are any professional chefs here? I am relatively new to the restaurant world and have been cooking in restaurants for 2 years.

I am a Head Chef in a privately owned restaurant ,have been a chef since 1984 so am in my 30th year,its different hours from some people but I've raised a family and had a good life from it,i have worked hotels and did contracts when i was doing my house up.As i now run the business as well, every day is a challenge,the food trends are for ever changing and catering for peoples expectations and needs makes me rip my hair out some days

Over those 30 years, did you notice an increase in specialized diets, like requests for no fish or gluten free? I do my best to cater to those needs, but I hear only in America there will be an excess of restrictions. I find it very tough to come up with something that is not what i would typically make.

Over those 30 years, did you notice an increase in specialized diets, like requests for no fish or gluten free? I do my best to cater to those needs, but I hear only in America there will be an excess of restrictions. I find it very tough to come up with something that is not what i would typically make.
For myself, someone who is allergic to dairy, not intolerant, I always ring the restaurant 2 or 3 days before we are due to visit and try to talk with the chef on duty that night (assuming that the restaurant is not a veggie /vegan restaurant). This not only ensures that the chef understands my allergy (dairy is hidden in so many things such as bread in the form of sodium stearoyl lactate which can be from a dairy or plant source) but also allows me to assist them in alternatives for their usual ingredients. I have found that after the initial 'how dare you' reaction, they are usually quite grateful because we can take one of their veggie recipes and effectively make it vegan and keep a lot of the flavour, which not only allows me to eat out, but allows them to give a vegan option to other customers in the future.

For myself, someone who is allergic to dairy, not intolerant, I always ring the restaurant 2 or 3 days before we are due to visit and try to talk with the chef on duty that night (assuming that the restaurant is not a veggie /vegan restaurant). This not only ensures that the chef understands my allergy (dairy is hidden in so many things such as bread in the form of sodium stearoyl lactate which can be from a dairy or plant source) but also allows me to assist them in alternatives for their usual ingredients. I have found that after the initial 'how dare you' reaction, they are usually quite grateful because we can take one of their veggie recipes and effectively make it vegan and keep a lot of the flavour, which not only allows me to eat out, but allows them to give a vegan option to other customers in the future.

I like customers like you! I can plan ahead of time to make a custom menu. The restaurant I work at has a reservations only, set menu with 7 to 8 courses depending on what's in season. I get very annoyed when I send a dish out and find out they don't eat beef or has shellfish allergies. We always confirm with the guests twice before they come dine. I've also gotten weird requests that people don't eat any raw vegetables, but they eat raw fish or beef.

I am not a professional chef but my husband is. He is still very early in his career (I hope) but everywhere he goes they put him in charge of the kitchen. He is looking for a job now where maybe he can work under someone with experience like Chef Jin and continue learning something.

Back
Top Bottom