Anybody else love watching Home/Kitchen of Tomorrow videos?

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
3:29 AM
Anyone else enjoy these:

View: https://youtu.be/2N9RCQjPqh4

I could watch these for hours. I like the mention of having 40-lb bags of flour hidden behind the flour bin, and the scraps bucket accessible through an outside door, and whatever in the world she was cooking those potatoes in…I want one!

My maternal grandmother had Lazy Susan corner cabinets in her kitchen. Those actually make sense. I wonder why you don't see them anymore.

CD

My maternal grandmother had Lazy Susan corner cabinets in her kitchen. Those actually make sense. I wonder why you don't see them anymore.

CD
We had them in every apartment we ever rented, but never in the houses we lived in.

Watching a bunch of these, there are two trends that seemed to be very popular predictions in the 40’s and 50’s - hidden shelving that either drops down from above or rises up from below, and some kind of a recipe library in the kitchen, like microfiche (even saying microfiche may date me a little).

Not a lot of fast food or highly processed foods around in 1949 so cooking was kind of mandatory and second nature. Now we're devolving lol.
I’d agree. Watching my mom cook on a wood cookstove, it was something that required constant tending, because if she was roasting or baking something, it had to be turned a few times, because one side of the oven (the side next to the firebox) would always be considerably hotter than the far side.

The same was true of the cooktop. The plates over the firebox were screaming hot, so those were for boiling/searing, and the ones in the middle were for simmering, and the far side more for just holding something and keeping it warm. She’d constantly be moving pots and pans around, depending on what stage of cooking they were in.

She never would have dreamed of starting something and then going into the living room to read a magazine or something. Once the cooking started, it took constant tending.

CD
These are becoming popular in Portugal nowadays. Personally I don't like them, I can see how practical it is that you can easily see everything on the shelf but at the same time I always feel like a putting a round thing on a square shelf isn't the best use of space.

These are becoming popular in Portugal nowadays. Personally I don't like them, I can see how practical it is that you can easily see everything on the shelf but at the same time I always feel like a putting a round thing on a square shelf isn't the best use of space.
I could see how in a smaller kitchen that makes sense, since every square inch of space is needed for something! I am fortunate to have a bigger kitchen and I like to keep all of my baking goods and most of my baking pans, measuring cups, etc. there. Very handy for my needs at this stage of my life. When I was younger I always had a small kitchen so yeah, it wouldn't have worked out well.

I could see how in a smaller kitchen that makes sense, since every square inch of space is needed for something! I am fortunate to have a bigger kitchen and I like to keep all of my baking goods and most of my baking pans, measuring cups, etc. there. Very handy for my needs at this stage of my life. When I was younger I always had a small kitchen so yeah, it wouldn't have worked out well.
Yes, I think that's the issue - most houses I've lived in and most houses of people I know have kitchens that are not that big, so every bit of space needs to be carefully used. I feel it's the same thing with personal organizers (which is now a bit of a trend here in Portugal) - they take every item from your pantry and put it in a labeled box or a mason jar, the end result is beautiful and it makes it super easy to find things but once again I feel like the boxes/jars are not the best use of space.

Yes, I think that's the issue - most houses I've lived in and most houses of people I know have kitchens that are not that big, so every bit of space needs to be carefully used. I feel it's the same thing with personal organizers (which is now a bit of a trend here in Portugal) - they take every item from your pantry and put it in a labeled box or a mason jar, the end result is beautiful and it makes it super easy to find things but once again I feel like the boxes/jars are not the best use of space.
Yeah I have the same issue in my refrigerator. I try not to use ziplock bags and plastic containers anymore, so I bought a lot of pyrex and glass containers with vinyl lids. While they are great for keeping food fresher longer, ziplocks and plastic containers are not heavy and they can sit atop something else without squashing it. Also ziplocks are very flexible and space saving (this goes for the freezer as well). I know that they do make some space-saving type containers that are pyrex or glass that are part of a set and all fit/stack together, but I haven't gotten to the point where I am ready to invest in that. I honestly would just rather have a larger refrigerator and freezer! Thank goodness for my garage freezer, at least.

I am going to invest in one of those food saver things pretty soon with the reusable bags, because we are going to have an excess of tomatoes and I plan on cooking down a lot of them into sauce for future use.

Sorry for going slightly off-topic here!

I’d agree. Watching my mom cook on a wood cookstove, it was something that required constant tending, because if she was roasting or baking something, it had to be turned a few times, because one side of the oven (the side next to the firebox) would always be considerably hotter than the far side.

The same was true of the cooktop. The plates over the firebox were screaming hot, so those were for boiling/searing, and the ones in the middle were for simmering, and the far side more for just holding something and keeping it warm. She’d constantly be moving pots and pans around, depending on what stage of cooking they were in.

She never would have dreamed of starting something and then going into the living room to read a magazine or something. Once the cooking started, it took constant tending.
What has changed is how much processing is required to achieve the same results. Dinner now needs to be from start to finish within an acceptable timeframe otherwise a more convenient and easier entree is chosen and desserts forget it, it's mostly premade, who has time for that and sitting down at a table together as a family, tilt. This has only spiraled cooking downward where now when you look at single parent homes, which for one ethnic group is around 80% how could any cooking skill get passed down. Like I said it's devolving. It's up to us to change that, so getting people involved and excited to cook is pretty important, or maybe back in schools where it belongs as well, but then again I'm biased lol.

Back
Top Bottom