Anybody have a good recipe for a Cheese Ball?

L_B

Veteran
Local time
6:32 AM
With Christmas not so far off I am trying to get together some ideas for appetizers for our Christmas get together. I usually have cheese balls and crackers but I have never made one before. I always buy them. I have had ones that people made at other parties I attended and they were quite good.

I make a great chase ball that is easy to assemble. Take a brick of room temperature cream cheese and put it in a bowl. Add shredded cheese, bacon bits, and chopped green onions to taste and mix it all together. Form it into a ball and then roll it in a bed of chopped pecan pieces.

Pardon me if I have no contribution for the recipe. But if you mean the cheese ball with the red covering, I have heard that it is not easy to make. The procedure is complicated although I don't exactly remember the details. The red covering is a kind of wax where the cheese ball is dipped. The purpose of the red wax is to preserve the cheese so the cheese ball is okay at room temperature for a long time. It is my father-in-law's favorite cheese so we always buy that for the Christmas banquet. My father-in-law would have some slices with beer.

Reactions: L_B
Pardon me if I have no contribution for the recipe. But if you mean the cheese ball with the red covering, I have heard that it is not easy to make. The procedure is complicated although I don't exactly remember the details. The red covering is a kind of wax where the cheese ball is dipped. The purpose of the red wax is to preserve the cheese so the cheese ball is okay at room temperature for a long time. It is my father-in-law's favorite cheese so we always buy that for the Christmas banquet. My father-in-law would have some slices with beer.
That sounds like Edam cheese. But surely not? In the Philippines?
edam.jpg

I wasn't quite sure what was meant by 'cheese balls' either, but I think it is soft mild cheese, flavoured with herbs or spices and rolled into small balls? Help! :scratchhead:

@L_B, something like this what you're after?

Festive Feta Cheese Ball Recipe

Festive Feta Cheese Ball Recipe.jpg

Ingredients
2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
2 teaspoons ranch salad dressing mix
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
1/2 teaspoon dill weed
Assorted crackers

Directions
In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add feta cheese and dressing mix; mix well. Shape into a ball.
In a small bowl, combine the Parmesan cheese, bacon and dill weed; roll cheese ball in Parmesan mixture. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until firm. Serve with crackers. Yield: 2 cups.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/festive-feta-cheese-ball
With more at
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/ingredients/cheese-recipes/cheese-ball-recipes

That sounds like Edam cheese. But surely not? In the Philippines?
View attachment 1847

I wasn't quite sure what was meant by 'cheese balls' either, but I think it is soft mild cheese, flavoured with herbs or spices and rolled into small balls? Help! :scratchhead:

That is right, that's the cheese ball that I am referring to. People in my country are not cheese eaters so I do not exactly know the kind of cheese that cheese ball belongs to. So it is Edam as you said. Now I remember that what we commonly have here is the cheddar that we eat with butter on the bread sometimes. That edam cheese usually appear in the supermarket racks in early December or November at the earliest because it is part of the Christmas fare of Filipinos together with the Chinese ham.

Thanks you Rosyrain. That sounds good and easy to make. Yes classic33 that is exactly what I am looking for. Sounds perfect. Thank you ladies I am going to give them both a try. I am sure they will be a hit.

Thanks you Rosyrain. That sounds good and easy to make. Yes classic33 that is exactly what I am looking for. Sounds perfect. Thank you ladies I am going to give them both a try. I am sure they will be a hit.
Ahem!

That is right, that's the cheese ball that I am referring to. People in my country are not cheese eaters so I do not exactly know the kind of cheese that cheese ball belongs to. So it is Edam as you said. Now I remember that what we commonly have here is the cheddar that we eat with butter on the bread sometimes. That edam cheese usually appear in the supermarket racks in early December or November at the earliest because it is part of the Christmas fare of Filipinos together with the Chinese ham.
How fascinating! Edam is a famous Dutch cheese. I wonder how it found its way to the Philippines as a Christmas food?

With Christmas not so far off I am trying to get together some ideas for appetizers for our Christmas get together. I usually have cheese balls and crackers but I have never made one before. I always buy them. I have had ones that people made at other parties I attended and they were quite good.
Yes, I think a home made cheese ball would be great. It seems like the ones you buy in stores are never that good. I would be interested in making some of the recipes that were posted here too., You can get what you need in terms of the cheese ball recipes that are around. I think there are some delicious recipes that can be made.

How fascinating! Edam is a famous Dutch cheese. I wonder how it found its way to the Philippines as a Christmas food?

When I was born, the edam cheese ball and the Chinese ham were already the traditional Christmas specialties in most houses here. There is no wonder with the Chinese ham since there are lots of Chinese here. But with the edam cheese, I cannot answer because I have no idea how it came to the Philippines. But I have a hunch that it was brought by the Spanish friars during their time since Spain was noted for their marine travels that they may be bringing imported goods then.

image.jpeg

Not a recipe but me and the dog can eat a tin of these in one sitting!
Only seem like you get them at Christmas

When I think cheese balls I am thinking of something like cheese sticks or corn curls which is commonly referred to as junk food. Certainly not something you'd have with crackers. Classic's picture looks yummy though. I'll have to examine these cheese balls further.

Back
Top Bottom