Anyone have a early AM coffee ritual?

Dive Bar Casanova

Local time
1:05 AM
The Starbucks here open at 5:00 AM.
I developed a bad habit of starting the car or truck and heading there at opening. It got addicting.
You can argue if it's a good coffee or not. I take your point. I like my Keurig better but to get moving in the morning and a little socializing is part of it.

I was spending $9 a morning on coffee and 2 biscottis. COSTCO Biscottis are 30 cents each if you buy 50 so now I bring those instead of buying the Starbucks Biscottis. Coffee is just $2.75.
Yeah Starbucks clips you $3 each biscotti.

One of the Baristas mentioned they have a regular family that comes in daily and spends over $1200 a month.

It's mostly college girls working the Starbucks around here. Starbucks picks up their college tuition and they get health insurance. Used to be all kinds of strings attached to the college bennie. The girls say Starbucks has loosened up their tuition rules and is very generous with that now.

I used to stop by Starbucks in route taking my daughter to school. Daughter would order a Double Frappachinno with snails and coconut and a extra nuclear weapons grade blast of Caffeine. Wife made me quit that ritual: "She's bouncing off the classroom walls all day long and she's a windblown, disheveled mess when I pick her up."

Last edited:
Well - I'm a tea person and rarely drink coffee. Also I don't get up until 10.30 am usually so I have no early morning anything! :laugh: I really don't like the taste of coffee much and I don't like they way it can make you 'hyper' (like your daughter). It can be very addictive - the hardened addicts suffer physical withdrawal symptoms if they stop (notably, headaches, I think).

Having said that, coffee has become very popular in the UK and the coffee chains are booming. I suspect we aren't a tea nation anymore.

Daughter would order a Double Frappachinno with snails and coconut and a extra nuclear weapons grade blast of Caffeine.

So what are 'snails'? :scratchhead:

Well - I'm a tea person and rarely drink coffee. Also I don't get up until 10.30 am usually so I have no early morning anything! :laugh: I really don't like the taste of coffee much and I don't like they way it can make you 'hyper' (like your daughter). It can be very addictive - the hardened addicts suffer physical withdrawal symptoms if they stop (notably, headaches, I think).

Having said that, coffee has become very popular in the UK and the coffee chains are booming. I suspect we aren't a tea nation anymore.

Escargot. I use English formula in the garden to kill them.
Meant as a bit of humor.

Morning coffee ritual...
  1. Make a cup of coffee at home. (I like to use fresh ground beans)
  2. Hop in the EV (electrified vehicle) and drive 18 miles to work.
    ( I don't mind missing lights because it gives me a chance to drink my coffee )
  3. Get to work and plug in my car.
  4. Head to the dungeon ( I work in the basement ) and make myself a cup of Jet Fuel
    ( Extra caffeinated K-Cup from Green Mountain )

I had an electric RAV for 5 years. 100% solar re charged from panels on the carport.
Never had the misfortune of running outta power.

images

Noticed a huge Tesla charging station mid way to Vegas in Baker. It was busy.
Now that's a good sign.
Walmart closed near our home. They left the chargers active though. That's a good sign too.

I was just this hour reading about Joseph Henry, first head of the Smithsonian who was renown primarily on his work in basic and applied electromagnetism. Some even say he discovered it.
BTW: If you like history his daughter Mary wrote a fascinating Diary during the Civil War that is really good reading available online.
I picked up one observation reading it. My wife uses Durkee Sauce in her Deviled Egg recipe. I read it was served in the Lincoln White house.
images

Not a heavy coffee drinker, but I do like Irish coffee after supper sometimes with Bushmills. I grew up with Cubans, now they are some serious coffee drinkers. They make Colada (Cuban Espresso)which packs the same punch as Jolt cola. It is served in an 8 oz container with small 1 oz cups to pour it in for individual servings.

I like Durkee Sauce for crudites, it is really good on raw cauliflower..

I too am a tea drinker, cannot function without a brew onboard.

I have 20 ish ounces of black coffee every morning. My son and I grind our own beans. Sometimes its Starbucks, sometimes is a local business, sometimes its whatever beans are on sale :) We grind them every morning, then make a pot of coffee. I fill up my travel mug and head off to work :)

At 5:00 AM, I'm anti-social.:hyper: Lol

Back in my AM coffee-drinking days, I had a machine with a timer. The coffee was ready when I woke up. A special treat, on occasion, was a half cup of coffee and half a cup of hot chocolate. Whipped cream on top. Now, I try to cut back on caffeine and stimulants. There were some copycat Starbucks' recipes on line, like Frappacino etc.

Last edited:
I brew cheap, bold coffee (Maxwell House) every morning, and I almost always make a breakfast burrito to enjoy on my 40 mile drive to the office. The first 10 miles of my drive consist of a few stops before I get on the freeway, and then a series of winding turns that make it inconvenient to eat my burrito. You see...I must have some sort of dip with the burrito (if it's a banh mi burrito, it's a spicy mayo, for instance), and it's hard to dip without making a mess with all those stops and turns. By the time I got through those 10 miles, my burrito was always cold. So, I started putting my burrito (or breakfast sandwich) in a thermos, and then taking it out once I get to the relatively straight part of I-94.

I enjoy this ritual so much that I'm seriously disappointed when I don't feel hungry in the morning, or if I'm rushed and I don't have time to make a breakfast burrito or sandwich.

You see...I must have some sort of dip with the burrito (if it's a banh mi burrito, it's a spicy mayo, for instance), and it's hard to dip without making a mess with all those stops and turns.

Blimey! The most I've ever eaten on a commute is a few sweeties (candies in US). I don't really think of food in the car. Thank God my commuting days are long past - I seriously hated it.

I stopped drinking coffee for a bit as I didn't want the caffeine. Then again, my coffee was terrible :) Now, my routine is to grind some beans and use a french press to make my coffee. It's a 17 ounce one so it comfortably makes enough for one travel mug. I keep it at my desk most of the day and sip away. It's become quite a comfortable ritual. Much better than the cans of regular coke I was drinking to take the place of coffee when I gave it up.

I used to use a percolator and then a machine that used bags or sachets or something, but I got tired of fiddling about
Now I just use good quality instant.

My morning regime is to make a cup of coffee, then sort of slump in my comfy chair and do my best to wake up; then work through my medication for diabetes (including insulin injection) and blood pressure; then a second cup of coffee

After that I'm just about ready to face the day

I used to use a percolator and then a machine that used bags or sachets or something, but I got tired of fiddling about
Now I just use good quality instant.

My morning regime is to make a cup of coffee, then sort of slump in my comfy chair and do my best to wake up; then work through my medication for diabetes (including insulin injection) and blood pressure; then a second cup of coffee

After that I'm just about ready to face the day

If I do drink coffee (not often) I use Aldi's instant 100% Arabica. Not only does it beat Nescafe hands down, its a fraction of the price! Do try it if you have an Aldi in your area.

Back
Top Bottom