Anyone have a recipe for Old Bay Seasoning

ally79

Veteran
Local time
10:44 AM
I got an incredible deal on frozen shrimp the other day and my husband is itching to cook it, but he wants to season it with Old Bay. I can't find any of the original recipe seasoning anywhere and I have been to every supermarket in town. Does anyone have a "copycat" recipe for it?

Old Bay seasonings are good, aren't they? I tend to drift from one one seasoning to another, however. My current favorite for fish and seafoods is Zatarain's. Good idea on your part to try and find a recipe for Old Bay. I googled and found it in several places. Here is one of them: http://www.food.com/recipe/old-bay-seasoning-copycat-189447
Now I think I'll steal your idea and go find a Zatarain's knock-off recipe for myself.:wink:

You would almost be better off just ordering it online than trying to amass all the ingredients to make a blend of it yourself - which would cost an arm and a leg if you don't have them all on hand already. Even then I would be a bit skeptical how close it would come to the real thing since there are so many ingredients in it, and so many opportunities to not get the ratios of each correct.

I like Old Bay, but only in small amounts, and only on occasion. It's not a seasoning blend that i use regularly because it has too distinct of a taste to it, and it makes everything I am cooking it in start to all taste the same.

One of the more interesting uses for it, was in a buffalo wing sauce along with some fresh lemon juice, and the usual hot sauce and butter. It added a really nice depth of flavor and the lemon complimented it all very nicely.

Back
Top Bottom