Anyone here from Asia to help with making Urutan?

Flawed

Local time
9:53 PM
Website
www.thecraftcookhouse.com
Hi, wondering if anyone has a traditional recipe for making a cured Urutan sausage ? The ones I have found on line are fairly lacking and contradict each other so wondered if anyone had a family recipe I could try?

Well, I haven't ever heard of it so I had to look it up. Its a Balinese sausage and it seems there are two types (fresh or fermented). Here is a bit of info about uratan. I must say, it sounds delicious given the flavourings used. Have you ever eaten it yourself Flawed?

As well as Singaraja lapciong, we discovered urutan, a different style of Balinese sausage. Similar to ‘Sai Oua’ sausages from north Thailand, Balinese urutan incorporate a special mix of Balinese spices, such as ginger, turmeric, garlic, fermented shrimp paste, aromatic ginger, and galangal to add a piquant aroma and complex flavour profile. Balinese mixed spice (base genep) prevents the rapid growth of bacteria during the making of urutan and salt acts as a natural preservative.

Basically, there are two different types of Balinese urutan; one is freshly made and directly deep fried for immediate consumption, and the other is fermented under the sun for a couple of days to deeply infuse the spice flavours and produce a supple texture.

The making of Balinese Sausages

Yeah I found some on line as well, but normally with cured sausages there is a solid foundation and I'm struggling to find enough recipes to establish this baseline. I'm fine with using just salt and have sourced ingredients, but am hoping for a 'family' tried and trusted recipe so I add this to my charcuterie repetoire :wink:

Yeah I found some on line as well, but normally with cured sausages there is a solid foundation and I'm struggling to find enough recipes to establish this baseline. I'm fine with using just salt and have sourced ingredients, but am hoping for a 'family' tried and trusted recipe so I add this to my charcuterie repetoire :wink:

I'm not sure if we have any regular members here from Asia who could help with a family recipe (unfortunately). From my brief search it seems to be a sausage which can vary a lot in terms of ingredients. For example, some recipes say turmeric gives the sausage its distinctive colour - but then if you do a picture search there seem to be plenty of images of urutan which are not yellowish looking.

The reason I asked if you had eaten it before (maybe you went to Bali!) was that I think its a difficult thing to make a product when you don't know how it is meant to taste.

You sir use the same side of your brain as I do. 👏

I'm not sure if we have any regular members here from Asia who could help with a family recipe (unfortunately). From my brief search it seems to be a sausage which can vary a lot in terms of ingredients. For example, some recipes say turmeric gives the sausage its distinctive colour - but then if you do a picture search there seem to be plenty of images of urutan which are not yellowish looking.

The reason I asked if you had eaten it before (maybe you went to Bali!) was that I think its a difficult thing to make a product when you don't know how it is meant to taste.
Yeah I've had it and it very different from standard salume from Italy, France and Spain - rather unique with the galangal and ginger in a cured sausage and given it uses a fast fermentation (due to the crazy heat and humidity) if i want to get the right balance I need a few pointers on the ratios. I can temper the chili aspect no problem. I suspect measurements are "a cup of this, 1/2 cup of that" as opposed to precise grammes....
I mat have to go into experimental mode :)

Back
Top Bottom