Anyone still use a bread making machine?

Dive Bar Casanova

Local time
9:12 PM
Watching on the news decades back as wildfires swept across the Southland people evacuating could be seen also packing the bread machine in the car then made their exodus from harms way.

We were cleaning out a big storage shed we have and came across my old Panasonic bread maker.

I used to simply get the bread machine mix kits in a box that had all the ingredients pre measured out.
The kits are long gone from grocery shelves. Maybe still find them on the net.
One kit was Panco bread. Oh brother was it good.

Measurement in Japan isn’t the same as here and one has to be spot on. Is their a metric cup vs American standard?

I eventually figured it out but over the years packed the machine away.

I remember most that fresh yeast was essential.
Even though the yeast is packed in sealed packets the fresher the better for good rising bread.

Also just slightly warming the liquids before pouring them in the machine.
A lighter fluffier bread would result.

Trader Joe’s market has beer bread mix in a box for a couple bux and I thought what the hey, I bought two and baked a loaf based on the box directions.
Traditional oven baked in a pan.

Boat anchor heavy but the wife loved it. Dog got most of it in a tricky sneak into the kitchen move.

I substituted cream instead of beer and added a few shots of Agave sweetener to the batter the last time and it really came out good.

Anyway, back to the title anyone still use a bread maker?
Bread thief:
View: https://imgur.com/1PtIg3j

Last edited:
Yeah, they're still popular here. My 30-ish crunchy granola all-natural niece uses one for all her bread baking, and says without it, she'd just buy bread, my mom has one that she occasionally will use, but at her age, she relies on others or the store for bread, and my sister just bought a new one to replace her worn out one.

Kroger has plenty of made-for-bread-machine mixes on the shelf. Honestly, I wasn't aware they'd ever dropped in popularity. Of all the people IRL I know who bake bread at home, I'm very much in the minority in not having one.

I might be the last one to find out but coincidentally I made my 1st bread without a machine yesterday. So many/most people don't use a machine any more?
I am on a low-carb diet so have been searching for a low-carb bread whose taste rivals that of 'regular' bread. I recently found one and it involves no flour, yeast, or kneading. Prep takes about 20-25 minutes and a machine isn't needed. I didn't know, however, that bread machines (which I used to have) were not being as used as much for people making regular loaves.

I recently found one and it involves no flour, yeast, or kneading. Prep takes about 20-25 minutes and a machine isn't needed

Welcome to CookingBites BWinCA. If you have a moment please hop over to New to CookingBites? and say a bit about yourself.

Your mention of no flour or yeast bread has me intrigued. Can you tell us more?

Welcome to CookingBites BWinCA. If you have a moment please hop over to New to CookingBites? and say a bit about yourself.

Your mention of no flour or yeast bread has me intrigued. Can you tell us more?

Thanks. As I mentioned I am on a low carb diet and love bread and, because flour is high in carbs, have been furtively looking for a recipe where the bread is both good tasting and low in carbs. I finally found one which uses whey protein instead of flour- and it tastes great! Even my wife, who eats 'regular' bread, says she loves it. Btw if you aren't familiar with it, whey is the liquid remaining after milk has been curdled and strained. It is a byproduct of the manufacture of cheese.

The recipe is for challah bread, which you find at almost every Jewish holiday (it is egg-based). I have since found out that, like many foods, versions of it can be found in many countries with their own take on it. Here's a picture of it. If anyone is interested I will be happy to post the recipe.

Last edited by a moderator:
The recipe is for challah bread, which you find at almost every Jewish holiday (it is egg-based). I have since found out that, like many foods, versions of it can be found in many countries with their own take on it. Here's a picture of it. If anyone is interested I will be happy to post the recipe.

The bread looks good. I'm familiar with Challah but still don't understand how whey protein can make bread with no flour or yeast. Please do post the recipe!

Please note recipes need to be posted as new threads. This is because they are then searchable rather than 'buried' in another thread.

The bread looks good. I'm familiar with Challah but still don't understand how whey protein can make bread with no flour or yeast. Please do post the recipe!

Please note recipes need to be posted as new threads. This is because they are then searchable rather than 'buried' in another thread.

Well, you just had me scouring the web for the answer to that question, as I didn't know either and was curious! (This was the first time I have used whey). It turns out that the rising agent is the baking soda and baking powder which is in the recipe. Here is a blurb I found: "Both baking powder and baking soda are chemical leavening agents that cause batters to rise when baked. The leavener enlarges the bubbles which are already present in the batter produced through creaming of ingredients. When a recipe contains baking powder and baking soda, the baking powder does most of the leavening."

It turns out that the rising agent is the baking soda and baking powder which is in the recipe.

That makes sense. Is the whey in dried form? I still can't understand what is providing the structure for the bread as whey is a liquid. I've made bread using whey in place of water before but not in place of flour.

Back
Top Bottom