Recipe Apfelpfannkuchen (Apple Pancakes)

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
5:16 AM
Apfelpfannkuchen (Apple Pancakes)

Ingredients

1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
8 tablespoons butter
3 tart firm apples, peeled and sliced
Cinnamon sugar
Confectioner's sugar

Directions

Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Make a well in the center, add eggs and milk, beat until batter is smooth. Let stand while cooking apples.

Place 3 tablespoons of the butter in a skillet, sauté the apple slices in the butter until golden and tender but not soft. Remove and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Keep warm.

In an omelette or crepe pan, melt remaining butter, add the thin batter for one pancake at a time, tilting pan so batter spreads evenly. Cook until lightly browned on one side, turn over. As pancakes finish, pile some of the apple mixture on each and roll up. Sprinkle tops of rolled pancakes with confectioner's sugar while still warm. Serve with whipped cream or sour cream.

Recipe courtesy of "The Art Of German Cooking" by Betty Wason.

My Notes

1. I cooked the crepes in a preheated cast iron skillet over medium-low heat.

2. I did not add the remaining butter to the skillet at the start of cooking the crepes; rather, I added a bit at a time as I needed it.

3. I used a 1/4 cup ladle to portion the batter.

4. When cooking the apples, I added some sugar to help with browning and some apple cider to reduce down into a syrup.

5. Images of apfelpfannkuchen on google do not usually show these as rolled, but this recipe called for rolling them.

3581463D-EB28-433F-A3EF-B8BAAE1E223D.jpeg
6121ECE8-2699-4963-9326-15562999AC0C.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom