Recipe Apple Chutney

Elawin

Guru
Local time
9:27 PM
This a recipe for chutney that I originally made in a pressure cooker, so I have given cooking instructions for that and traditional stove top cooking as well. I last made a batch of this chutney in 2011 and have literally got down to the last two teaspoons of it! It has kept beautifully.

WP_20170720_00_02_01_Pro.jpg

WP_20170720_00_02_09_Pro.jpg

Ingredients:

1 kg cooking apples, peeled, cored and diced
1 kg onions, chopped
100 g sultanas
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Juice and grated rind of 1 lemon
300 ml malt vinegar
350 g demerara sugar

Method:

For pressure cooker:

1. Put the apples, onions, sultanas, lemon rind, lemon juice and vinegar into the pan.
2. Bring to a high pressure and cook for 12 minutes.
3. Release steam slowly, remove the lid and add the sugar.
4. Bring to the boil, then simmer in the open pan, stirring occasionally, until the chutney thickens.
5. Pour into dry, warm jars. Allow to cool slightly, then seal the jars. Yields approx. 2 kg.

For stove top cooking:

1. Put all the ingredients into a large saucepan.
2. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for approx. 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chutney has thickened.
3. Pour into dry, warm jars. Allow to cool slightly, then seal the jars. Yields approx. 2 kg.

Note: This recipe came from a booklet entitled "Tower Aluminium Pressure Cookers". The stove top instructions are my own adaptation.

Last edited:
Looks great - perfect with cheese I should think. I go through phases of making pickles and chutneys. I also went though a marmalade phase. I still have one jar left.

Back
Top Bottom