The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
9:07 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
83a8ffc3-a227-46cf-bbf5-85fb4f640d62-jpeg.jpg

I decided to pickle some ginger last weekend. I was unpacking groceries as they sat in a jar on the counter, and I started thinking about them together with the apples I had just bought. When I think of ginger, I think Asian food, so what followed just came naturally. I wanted to create a swirl effect with the coconut milk, but it's not as decorative as I imagined it would be. I did, however, successfully tamp down the sweetness of many of the elements in the soup.

Ingredients

4 tablespoons light butter
1/2 red onion, chopped
2” piece of ginger root, peeled and grated
5 garlic cloves, peeled and grated
1 serrano pepper, finely chopped
2 tablespoons Thai basil, chopped finely
1 tablespoon Chinese Five Spice blend
2 gala apples, peeled, cored, and cut in chunks
1 large butternut squash, peeled, cored, and cut in chunks
4 cups vegetable stock
2 tablespoons fish sauce
4 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 lime, juiced
13 2/3 ounces light coconut milk, shaken vigorously
green onions, cut in small even pieces, to finish

IMG_0965.JPG

Directions

1. Melt butter in a large pot on medium heat. Add chopped onion and saute until softened and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, pepper, Thai basil leaves, and Chinese Five Spice blend, stirring continuously for another minute.

IMG_0966.JPG

2. Add apple chunks, stirring thoroughly to coat. Cook for another two minutes or so, stirring occasionally.

IMG_0967.JPG

3. Add squash, stirring thoroughly to coat. Cook for another few minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure even coverage. Add stock. Lower heat to medium-low and cook for 20-30 minutes or until squash is softened.

IMG_0968.JPG

4. Stir in fish sauce, rice vinegar, and lime juice. Working in batches, puree in a blender, then return to the pot. Add salt if desired.

5. Shake coconut milk can vigorously. While stirring the soup, pour the coconut milk in a stream to achieve a swirl pattern. Serve with green onion slices.

I think this is inspired and brings together some intriguing elements. I don't often say this - but I would have to try it to know how it tastes (minus the coconut milk for which I have an intolerance).

And try it I will!

P.S. I added tags!

Thanks! The serrano pepper does bring some heat, but there's so much sweet in there (apples, squash, rice vinegar, coconut milk) that it balances things and comes across as nicely warm.

morning gloryThanks for adding the tags! BTW, I posted this before I read about your issues with coconut milk. It would actually be much healthier with yogurt, and I'm sure the taste would be comparable. If I didn't have a can of coconut milk, I believe I would have turned to yogurt and been completely happy with the result.

Back
Top Bottom