Recipe Apple, Lemon Ricotta & Peanut Butter and Jelly Pancakes

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
8:57 PM
From the same Scout Cookbook. T'is the egg in the orange to blame.
It's amazing how some simple can fruit can turn an ordinary pancake into something special.
This makes a thinner, more crepe-like pancake.​
Apple Pancakes
Ingredients

1 cup flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon salt
1 egg 1 cup milk
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 large apples, peeled and thinly sliced

Method
In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
In another bowl, combine the wet ingredients except the apple.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
Gently fold in the sliced apples.
Heat the skillet over a medium heat.
You can tell if your skillet or griddle is hot enough by flicking a drop or two of water on its surface. The water should skitter around and quickly evaporate if the pan is hot enough.
Spoon the batter into hot oiled skillet, allowing about 3 tablespoons per pancake.
Cook pancakes for about 1½-2 minutes.
You will know your pancakes are ready to be turned over when large bubbles form on the uncooked surface.
Flip the pancakes and cook for about 1½ minutes on the other side.
Serve immediately or keep warm on a baking sheet in a 200° F oven until all pancakes are cooked.

Makes about 12 pancakes

Peanut Butter and Jelly Pancakes
This recipe is a big hit with the kids.
Use the buttermilk pancake mix* to make this.
Ingredients
1 egg
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1½ cups buttermilk pancake mix
1 cup water (more as needed)
½ cup peanut butter Jam/jelly for topping

Method
Mix all the ingredients until blended together and let the mixture stand for about five minutes.
Lightly oil a large griddle or skillet (preferably non-stick).
You can tell if your skillet or griddle is hot enough by flicking a drop or two of water on its surface. The water should skitter around and quickly evaporate if the pan is hot enough.
Spoon the batter into hot oiled skillet, allowing about 3 tablespoons per pancake.
You will know your pancakes are ready to be turned over when large bubbles form on the uncooked surface. Flip the pancakes and cook for about 1½ minutes on the other side.
Serve immediately topped with jelly or keep warm on a baking sheet in a 200°F oven until all pancakes are cooked.

Makes about 10 pancakes

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
These pancakes are sophisticated, yet accessible. Nearly everyone loves their creamy, light lemon flavour.
It's hard to find a more perfect start to breakfast or brunch. Serve with jam or maple syrup.
Ingredients
1 cup flour
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1¼ cups ricotta cheese
4 teaspoons sugar
1¼ teaspoons baking powder
2 eggs
3/5 cup C milk
juice of 1 lemon
zest of 1 lemon, minced

Method
Combine the dry ingredients.
In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients until combine.
Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
Lightly oil a large griddle or skillet (preferably non-stick).
You can tell if your skillet or griddle is hot enough by flicking a drop or two of water on its surface.
The water should skitter around and quickly evaporate if the pan is hot enough.
You will know your pancakes are ready to be turned over when large bubbles form on the uncooked surface. Flip the pancakes and cook for about 1½ minutes on the other side.
Serve immediately or keep warm on a baking sheet in a 200° F oven until all pancakes are cooked.
Dust with icing sugar, if desired.

Makes about 10 pancakes

*Buttermilk Pancake Mix
You can save money by preparing a big batch of this dry pancake mix to use whenever the mood for a special breakfast strikes.
Instructions are included below for making the basic pancakes, but the mix can be used for other recipes as well.
For The Mix:
2 cups dry buttermilk powder
8 cups flour
2/3 cups sugar
8 teaspoons baking powder
4 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons salt

To Make Mix:
Sift all the ingredients together.
Store in an airtight container and use within six months of making.

Last edited:
Why are your Scout cookbook recipes in US measures? Surely no one in UK would have understood cup measures? But perhaps you were in the American Scouts?

Why are your Scout cookbook recipes in US measures? Surely no one in UK would have understood cup measures? But perhaps you were in the American Scouts?
I was given the book by American Scouts in Ireland, who were camping in a relatives field. A bit of swapping went into getting it. Actually a leader in the Scouts in the UK.

Maybe edit and include the metric measurements as well then.
Leader in the same group as the Acid Bath Murderer, but not at the same time!

I was given the book by American Scouts in Ireland, who were camping in a relatives field. A bit of swapping went into getting it. Actually a leader in the Scouts in the UK.

Maybe edit and include the metric measurements as well then.
Leader in the same group as the Acid Bath Murderer, but not at the same time!
Oh, I wasn't thinking you need to do that. We'd all go mad if we kept translating measures back and forth (there ought to be a tool we can click on to convert them instantly!).

Yes. I do use that kind of thing. And the one you cite looks like a good one. But its laborious using these tools. You have to go 'off Forum' and input data into a website in order to covert it and then cut and paste it back into the post on the Forum. I was meaning that we ought to be able to do this instantly: Type a recipe and click on the measures so that they instantly convert. Now that would be a challenge for the techies!

So, in some ways, your Scout cookery book was smarter than we are here! I must say though, that I'm beginning to get irritated by weights and measures and the difference between countries. Guess I'm just turning into an old f***.

If they're travelling over in this direction, maybe they needed it doing before they set off? Five miles to the nearest shop is a bit of a walk, because you didn't get enough.

Most Scouts would use their cups as measures as well. I've cups that were used for cooking measures as well as drinking from, but they were known sizes, colour coded for ease of use.
I think @SatNavSaysStraightOn had one such cup.

Last edited:
OK. I wasn't even in the Brownies so what would I know? Would be interesting to know if the cups used by UK scouts were American measure size.

Back
Top Bottom