Recipe Applewood Smoked Goat’s Curd with Lacy Whey Pancake and Plum Chutney

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:04 PM
There are three recipes in one here. Rather satisfyingly, the pancakes are made from the leftover whey from making the curd. I made this into a fancy presentation but you could just as easily make standard American style shaped pancakes and serve the curd and chutney with them.

The plum chutney was fermented and more delicious than I can describe - but I have to say it was an accident. I left the sealed jar on a window sill and it fizzed and popped the lid. It kept fizzing for several days and tasted better and better. I’m not sure how to replicate this so I haven’t included fermentation in the recipe! The portion I placed in the fridge didn’t ferment and tastes pretty good too.

If you don’t want to smoke the curd then you really don’t have to. It tastes delicious anyway.

fullsizeoutput_313d.jpeg

Ingredients
For the goat’s curd (makes one small ball):
1 litre of goat’s milk
2 tbsp white vinegar

For the plum chutney (makes one very small jar):
4 unripe purple plums
1 small thumb of ginger
Juice of half a lime
1 tbsp sugar (or to taste)
Salt to taste

For the pancakes (makes more pancakes than you need - approx. 8):

150ml goat’s milk whey (left over from making the curd)
150g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
A little oil for frying

To serve:

Bamboo charcoal powder (optional)
Salad cress (optional)

Method
To make the plum chutney:
  1. Grate the ginger onto a piece of strong kitchen paper or a J-cloth. Twist the paper or cloth into a ball and squeeze the ginger juice into a small saucepan.
  2. Chop the plums into small pieces and place in the pan together with the lime juice and sugar.
  3. Simmer gently until the plum breaks down slightly - approximately 15 mins.
  4. Add more sugar if desired and salt to taste.
  5. Place in a small container or sterilised jar.
To make the goat’s curd:
  1. Place the goat’s milk in a saucepan and heat gently until just simmering.
  2. Add the vinegar and stir. Keep the mixture simmering gently. Curds will form almost immediately. If they don’t, add more vinegar.
  3. Place a J-cloth or piece of cheesecloth into a colander over a bowl and strain off the curds. Reserve the whey.
  4. Gather up the corners of the cloth and twist so that the curds form a ball inside the cloth. Suspend the ball over a bowl and allow to drip for twenty minutes. You don’t have to do this - you can just squeeze out as much liquid as possible by hand. This will produce a slightly moister curd.
  5. The curd will keep in a covered container in the fridge for up to 10 days.
To smoke the goat’s curd:
  1. For this I used a smoke gun although you could use an alternative ’stove-top’ smoking method.
  2. Place pieces of curd spaced apart in a shallow bowl. Cover the bowl with clingfilm and insert the nozzle of the smoke gun.
  3. Place a pinch of applewood chips into the smoking chamber.
  4. Light the wood chips and switch on the smoking gun.
  5. Allow the smoke to fill the bowl then remove the nozzle and quickly seal the clingfilm down to retain the smoke inside.
  6. Allow the curd to smoke for 5 minutes.
To make the pancakes:
  1. Mix all the ingredients together with a whisk. You should have a batter with a consistency slightly thicker than single cream.
  2. Add a little oil to a non-stick pan over a high heat.
  3. Using a large spoon or ladle, drizzle the batter around the pan to form a lacy shape. Allow to cook for a few approximately 30 seconds and then flip over to cook the other side.
Smoking the curd:

fullsizeoutput_311a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3119.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3118.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3138.jpeg

Last edited:
WOW! Beautifully plated, but also a very nice step-by-step diagram of the process. I haven't used a smoking gun, but using it to add smokiness to the curd is a very "chefy" thing to do. :chef:

Thank you. Guilty as charged I suppose re smoking the curd. But its so incredibly easy that it didn't feel 'chefy' at all.

Back
Top Bottom