Apricot mousse help needed

Wyshiepoo

Veteran
Local time
1:56 PM
Apricot Mousse, Hamlyn all Colour Cookbook.

Main ingredients, apricots, lemon zest and juice, sugar, eggs, powdered gelatine.

What worked, yummy and could quite easily be adapted for other fruit.

What didn't work. Well I'm not sure if this was an issue or if it's a case of 'real' cooking. But when I buy a mousse from a shop it's always one homogenous colour and texture. This was speckled different colours and there were bits in the mousse.

I have a tendency to be too heavy handed and I knock the air out of mixes so perhaps I didn't mix it as much as I should?

Would welcome any advice.

DSC_0127.jpg
DSC_0128.jpg
DSC_0129.jpg

Apricot Mousse, Hamlyn all Colour Cookbook.

Main ingredients, apricots, lemon zest and juice, sugar, eggs, powdered gelatine.

What worked, yummy and could quite easily be adapted for other fruit.

What didn't work. Well I'm not sure if this was an issue or if it's a case of 'real' cooking. But when I buy a mousse from a shop it's always one homogenous colour and texture. This was speckled different colours and there were bits in the mousse.

I have a tendency to be too heavy handed and I knock the air out of mixes so perhaps I didn't mix it as much as I should?

Would welcome any advice.

View attachment 29885 View attachment 29886 View attachment 29887

10/10 from me. :)

Russ

There's probably nothing wrong with it at all. Just a case of real life cooking meets faked cookbook photos and processed supermarket stuff..

Part of the recipe involves whisking the egg whites so that they are stiff and then folding them into the rest of the mix.

But I wasn't sure if I should thoroughly fold them in so that they blend completely or not. I tend to be a bit heavy handed when doing sponge type cakes and seem to knock the air out of them. So I was a bit concerned that I might overmix the egg white into the mousse base.

After I'd mixed as much as I felt I should there were still flecks of egg white visible which concerned me, but after chilling in the fridge the egg white didn't seem quite so noticeable.

I think that's my main concern, should I have mixed until there wasn't a trace of egg white left or was I correct to stop when it was mostly mixed?

Back
Top Bottom