Recipe Apricot Upside Down Cake

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
10:29 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I came across this recipe for apricots and recon that if you can't get fresh apricots, you could use any other fresh fruit that is similar or perhaps even soak dried apricots to get it to work. I may try it next week with soaked dried apricots as a treat. Not that I actually deserve one because of my lack of dieting just recently, but heyho...
The only problem with the recipe is that it does not say what size spingform cake tin to use which will control the cooking time...
Using freshly ground cardamom pods will also increase the flavour and aroma considerably. I only have whole pods, so I will be grinding my own. I shall have to check that I have baking soda available, not to mention some almond meal, but luckily that is sold in my local supermarket.
Taken from here http://www.marthastewart.com/1123324/vegan-apricot-upside-down-cake

upside-down-cake.jpg

Ingredients
¼ cup melted extra-virgin coconut oil, plus 1 tablespoon for pan
¾ cup maple syrup, plus 1 tablespoon for pan
18-20 small apricots (1 quart), halved and pitted
3 cups dried unsweetened coconut flakes
1¼ cup whole spelt flour, divided
1¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
¾ teaspoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup almond meal
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds (linseed), preferable golden flax
¼ cup water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons raw apple cider vinegar
¼ teaspoon sea salt

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350F,
  2. Line the bottom of a springform pan with parchment paper -- do this by flipping the base over and placing a larger square piece of parchment on top of it. Attach the sides, keeping the paper flush against the base. Turn it upside down and fold paper into the centre.
  3. Add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and use your hands to spread it over the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Add 1 tablespoon maple syrup and spread it over the bottom of the pan.
  4. Arrange apricots in circles, cut side down on the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
  5. Add coconut to a food processor and add a handful of the spelt flour. Blend until coarsely ground and set aside. Sift remaining spelt flour, cardamom, baking powder, and baking soda into a medium bowl. Add almond meal and ground coconut, stir to combine, and set aside.
  6. In another bowl, whisk together flax seeds and water, then add maple syrup, oil, vanilla, vinegar, and salt and whisk again. Pour into dry mixture and stir until just combined. Pour over apricots and gently spread batter evenly over the fruit. Place cake on baking sheet and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  7. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for an hour before running a knife around the edges of the pan and removing the sides. Place a cake plate over the top of the cake and swiftly flip it over. Remove the cake pan base, carefully peel off the parchment paper and serve.

Looking at the pictures on the website and taking into account the size of the average apricot, I reckon its a 12 inch (30 cm) springform.

Back
Top Bottom