Are old fashioned/traditional cookbooks making a comeback?

Foodie14

Veteran
Local time
6:42 PM
I have a huge collection of cookery and baking books. One of the things I've noticed when stumbling across an old fashioned recipe book, is that many people are buying these again. I think they're a great resource for people who like to cook in a traditional way whether it be generally or for health reasons.

One of the books I really like at the moment is "Forgotten Skills of Cooking" by Darina Allen of the Ballymaloe family of foodies. There is a wealth of information in there about making all sorts of things, even your own butter, cheese, yogurt etc.

I love these old fashioned cookery books, and I'm hoping to continue building my collection. Does anyone have any further suggestions for me to try?

I have a collection of cookbooks also.. I started collecting them when I was a teenager. I've noticed the opposite of what you have noticed, though... from what I've seen, "real" (meaning paper) :) cookbooks don't seem to be selling very well these days. Even as much as I love collecting them, the two that I'm choosing next week's new recipes from are both in my Kindle.

The suggestion I'd have for you is to look at a place like eBay for community and organization cookbooks. These are *wonderful* because when you ask people in a group, town, or church to contribute to a cookbook, they always give their best recipes that have been tried and true. Those are my favorite kinds of cookbooks to use.

Do you ever just read them for the content whether or not you end up making any of the recipes? :)

I use cookbooks as well although I also cut recipes from magazines as well. But lately, I have found some good recipes on internet sites like the BBC recipe site.

I have a collection of cookbooks also.. I started collecting them when I was a teenager. I've noticed the opposite of what you have noticed, though... from what I've seen, "real" (meaning paper) :) cookbooks don't seem to be selling very well these days. Even as much as I love collecting them, the two that I'm choosing next week's new recipes from are both in my Kindle.

The suggestion I'd have for you is to look at a place like eBay for community and organization cookbooks. These are *wonderful* because when you ask people in a group, town, or church to contribute to a cookbook, they always give their best recipes that have been tried and true. Those are my favorite kinds of cookbooks to use.

Do you ever just read them for the content whether or not you end up making any of the recipes? :)

Yes, I agree there are many great cookbooks on Kindle now, and the price difference is quite significant. I have a few recipe books on my Kindle and I'm slowly getting used to using them this way; however, I have to say that I am a real fan of some of those beautiful books (new and old) in their physical form.

I love to read them for their content too - some of them have such wonderful stories, old and new, and it gives me a nice feel for certain recipes.

I use cookbooks as well although I also cut recipes from magazines as well. But lately, I have found some good recipes on internet sites like the BBC recipe site.

The BBC Good Food website is my 'go to' site for a lot of guidance and good recipes. I find the comments very helpful too, as it's good to know the outcome of the recipes for others, and what modifications should be made. :)

Back
Top Bottom