Are you a fashionista or a recessionista?

My latest purchase.
I like classic jackets especially those with this cut, I don't usually pair them with something classic but I 'break' the mood a bit by pairing them with T-shirts, leggings, sneakers or Doctor Martens.

I immediately liked the colour of this one.

IMG_3994.jpeg

These days I live in jeans with a sweater or sweats and Merrell sneakers during the winter and knee length shorts with assorted tops and sandals in the summer.
"Back-in-the-Day" I had a wardrobe of very nice clothes. Suits, dresses, slacks. Heels 4" was my norm. There are 2 department stores that I like Macy's (throughout the US) and Dillard's (more of a southern chain). This time of year and the fall is when I like to shop. 50% to 75% off.

Shoes - sigh! I gave all of my 4"+ heels to my one of my nieces. I can not wear them anymore. 2 1/2" to 3" is my max. I have a pair of awesome Western boots. Tall shank, snip toe and a high heal for that kind of boot 2". Two pairs of dress boots - one brown, one black with a 3" heel - chunky not stiletto. Most of my pumps are in basic colors - go with anything- except for the red pair and the silver sandals - oh a jade green pair and an orange pair and a floral pair. During the summer my nod to a heel is a wedge sandal. My sandals are frequently blinged. I really miss being able to wear high heels.

Lately my problem has been body shifting. I have not gained weight - correction - I have lost the 15 lbs. I gained between Oct. '16 and March '17. My problem is that my weight is not where it used to be. Dress clothes that I wore two years ago no longer fit. Neither do my jeans. This fall I picked up several pairs of jeans - stretch waist. I had a rude awakening when my cousin died earlier this year. There was literally nothing in my closet suitable for a funeral that fit me! I started going through my closet trying on every thing. Not much left. The bed in the spare bedroom is piled with clothes that I can not wear. The local thrift shop will receive a nice donation.

I really like fashion and like to look nice. With this aging body and face I am not as inspired as I once was. Growing old is a bitch. Wait - it is a blessing when you consider the alternative.:D

Thanks @MypinchofItaly - a fun topic. I would like to see the guys chime in. :laugh:
I realise this is an old post but the “growing olds a bitch” thing struck a chord with me when it comes to clothing.

I hit an age a while ago when a lot of my clothes suddenly felt too short or too tight or just wrong, where they had looked good they suddenly didn’t feel right. I just wasn’t comfortable, they felt like a much younger persons clothes not a middle aged woman’s ones. But what direction to go in? I spent decades refining what suited me and theres no manual for getting older and looking around me there was sea of bad jeans and dull sweatshirts I could die of boredom in 😂

Anyway many years prior to this I’d happened upon a book in a discount shop very reduced and thought what the hell tis only a couple of quid and it might be useful later. It’s filled with pictures of mostly American women stepping out in style looking awesome in their older years.

It’s a great book, shows lots of woman rocking their sh*t regardless, they didn’t fall into some bland invisible world with no style, quite the opposite.

It’s not often I find something inspiring, these women are.
It’s worth a look even if you have your wardrobe together just to rejoice in other older women that do too!
He did another cool book called ‘Advanced Love’ which is men and women in their later years who both rock their wardrobes! Tasty would enjoy that one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Style-Ari-Seth-Cohen/dp/157687592X/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1Y92P328TW6F9&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.5rGIslhHKkabAFdiOwN7Jy05naqFIhXBa-7GZXEdkddMK9OPKLBGuzwWbNTZKaT-PERdXS-Ag691Zl16_rV2mz6Bdal32OLAKHtz4MY78Nc_yc_ym0AGtlUccgRkLktI.OH3mI43nqlUxdaHRim1okhd4sp21B4VC3mYYAPqsxNU&dib_tag=se&keywords=Advanced+style+Seth+cohen&qid=1710619009&s=books&sprefix=advanced+style+seth+cohen,stripbooks,123&sr=1-1

Last edited:
My body has changed. I no longer have a waist. My mid-section is now barrel shaped. I could work with weight gain if I had a waist. Slap a belt on it. Rock the hips.
At 71 I am way beyond middle age. I still take care of myself. I have my cut and colored on a regular basis. I take care of my skin. When I leave the house, I wear makeup. My issue is clothes. I have a hard time finding things that fit well, are not frumpy and are not ridiculously young. The arthritis in my hips prevents me wearing heels. I wear flats or kitten heels.
I tried the link but Bitdefender blocked it.

My body has changed. I no longer have a waist. My mid-section is now barrel shaped. I could work with weight gain if I had a waist. Slap a belt on it. Rock the hips.
At 71 I am way beyond middle age. I still take care of myself. I have my cut and colored on a regular basis. I take care of my skin. When I leave the house, I wear makeup. My issue is clothes. I have a hard time finding things that fit well, are not frumpy and are not ridiculously young. The arthritis in my hips prevents me wearing heels. I wear flats or kitten heels.
I tried the link but Bitdefender blocked it.
The women in this book are older, a lot of them much older than 70.
There's not a lot of waistline on display, just some stylish ideas using colour and boldness.

I'm glad younger me had the foresight to buy the book, however younger me had no idea how useful it would be to help get back into my stride!

Hope the pic gives you the info to search for it.
IMG_2197.jpeg

My wife thinks I should dress like a 30 yr old. As I have progressed through life, I have decided I shall dress in what is comfortable. Today it was 31C outside, so shorts and a (decent) T-shirt.
Anything I get bought for Xmas, birthday, etc. that includes skinny jeans,fashionable sneakers (ie. beige and cream) gets left on the shelf or in a drawer. 2 years later, I give them away. :hyper: :cool:

Back
Top Bottom