Are you a sourdough-er?

pattyk

Veteran
Local time
2:58 PM
I've made my own bread for as long as I can remember, and last year I took the plunge and made my own sourdough starter. It took a few goes for me to get it right, but once I had it going strong and lively, I felt more confident about using it.

My first few loaves were ok - just ok, nothing special. But now that my starter has matured a little (5 months old now!) its flavor has well and truly developed, and I am consistently churning out good sourdough loaves 3-4 times a week. I'd like to experiment with adding a bit more flavor now, and I thought about doing an onion sourdough. If there is an experienced sourdough-er on this forum, I'd love to hear about any additions you've made to your loaves, and if you've done an onion sourdough, did you cook the onions first, and when do you add them? Before or after bulk fermentation?

Huge thanks to anyone who can answer this for me. :wink:

I personally am not a sourdough-er, but my fiancé's mom is and she has a jar/container of sourdough starter in her fridge. She makes these sourdough waffles that are to DIE for, seriously!!

I can ask her about the onion sourdough, but I'm not sure if she'll know since I know she just sticks with the usual sourdough and doesn't really diverge from what she has perfected.

I love sour dough but due to a lack of a decent oven haven't actually made my own but know several people who do. One of those people even make sourdough with chocolate in it which is to die for (dark dairy free chocolate for me only though).

Her onion sourdough is usually made with part cooked onions unless she is after a caramelised onion sourdough. She comes them lightly, but I guess a lot of it will depend on how thickly you slice the onions and how big your loaf of sourdough is. Her sourdough loaves tend to be huge and I mean huge, anything upto 50cm in diameter for her round ones!

Back
Top Bottom