Recipe Aromatic Toasted Pilau Rice

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:25 PM
This aromatic rice dish makes a great side dish but it would also be lovely with a fried or poached egg on top if you want to make it a main. I served it with chicken in smoky roasted pepper sauce.

Ingredients (serves 2)
100g basmati or long grain rice
1 tbsp ghee
1/2 a large onion, finely chopped
A knob of ginger, cut into slivers or matchsticks
2 fat cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
4-5 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground coriander
1 stick of cinnamon broken into shards
Salt to taste
Toasted slivered almonds and fresh coriander or parsley, to serve.

Method
  1. Heat the ghee in a non-stick pan and add the chopped onion. Fry gently until the onion softens.
  2. Add the rice and turn the heat up slightly. Fry the rice until it begins to turn golden.
  3. Add all the remaining spices and stir well to mix.
  4. Add 400 ml water and simmer gently until the rice has absorbed all the water. This will take approximately 30 minutes.
  5. If the rice is still not cooked add more water as required and simmer until it is absorbed. Add salt, to taste.
  6. Garnish with toasted slivered almonds and fresh parsley or coriander leaves.

Last edited:
Very nice.

I've only used powdered cardamom, so can you tell me if the pods eventually dissolve?

Nope - its part of the charm. You can see one on the top, in the photos. Pick them out when you eat. The taste of the whole seeds is infinitely better than powdered. But if you don't want the pods crush them and just add the seeds.

Back
Top Bottom