Recipe Arroz Con Pollo Verde

Milkduds

Local time
2:04 AM
The inspiration for this dish is a popular appetizer, a poblano pepper, stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped with bacon, then baked until it's all gooey crispy.

I buy poblanos and roast them in the oven, then seed, peel and chop and put them in tiny ziplock bags in the freezer. Here's what they look like right out of the oven:

Citrus chicken: 1/2 C white cooking wine, 2 t. chopped garlic, 1/2 cup orange juice 4 chicken thighs. Combine all in a zip lock bag and marinate for 2 hours. Remove chicken from marinade and place in baking pan. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with rosemary and oregano, and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.

In heavy pan place 1/2 lb sliced bacon cut into slivers. Cook until crisp and then place on paper towel to drain. Drain the bacon grease from the pan and proceed to broth.

Broth 2 1/2 Cups chicken broth, 1 t. parsley, 1/4 t. saffron, 1 large bay leaf 1 t. boullion. Deglaze bacon pan with broth, add 1 t. boullion and other spices. bring to a boil and then let cool. Pour into 2 cup measuring cup.

Rice: 1 C rice, 1/2 C. mushrooms sliced, 1/2 C. chopped bell peppers, 2 t. chopped garlic, 2 roasted, seeded and peeled and chopped poblano peppers, 1/2 C. chopped onion. 2 cups prepared broth, 1/4 c. cooked bacon bits and 2 T. chopped cilantro

Coat heavy pan with olive oil and stir rice in to coat it all. cook over medium heat and add peppers, garlic, mushrooms and onion. cook stirring constantly until rice is translucent. add the broth and the poblano pepper, a pinch of cilantro and 1/4 C cooked bacon. Bring to a boil and then cover and cook on medium-low heat about 15 minutes or until all the broth is absorbed and rice is fluffy and cooked through.

Plate chicken and rice and top with slivered green onions, more bacon bits, chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn’t know there was such a thing. Maybe I can get some through mail order? I did read about it just now, and apparently the green indicates chlorophyll, which has extra nutrients.

No, the rice is regular white rice to start. You place a bunch of cilantro, chopped onion and garlic, green bell or poblano and jalapeno if you want spice with some of the water in a blender and pulverize it so you have a green liquid to cook the rice in. The rice absorbs the liquid and turns a greenish color. My cousin uses broccoli instead of the green peppers and jalapeno. Either has to be salted more than normal or tastes bland.

I didn't know there was a green rice either. One brand at least is Jade Pearl rice. It's dyed with some kind of bamboo extract. Looks interesting.

Last edited:
The inspiration for this dish is a popular appetizer, a poblano pepper, stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped with bacon, then baked until it's all gooey crispy.

I buy poblanos and roast them in the oven, then seed, peel and chop and put them in tiny ziplock bags in the freezer. Here's what they look like right out of the oven:

View attachment 41119

Citrus chicken: 1/2 C white cooking wine, 2 t. chopped garlic, 1/2 cup orange juice 4 chicken thighs. Combine all in a zip lock bag and marinate for 2 hours. Remove chicken from marinade and place in baking pan. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with rosemary and oregano, and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.

In heavy pan place 1/2 lb sliced bacon cut into slivers. Cook until crisp and then place on paper towel to drain. Drain the bacon grease from the pan and proceed to broth.

View attachment 41121

Broth 2 1/2 Cups chicken broth, 1 t. parsley, 1/4 t. saffron, 1 large bay leaf 1 t. boullion. Deglaze bacon pan with broth, add 1 t. boullion and other spices. bring to a boil and then let cool. Pour into 2 cup measuring cup.

Rice: 1 C rice, 1/2 C. mushrooms sliced, 1/2 C. chopped bell peppers, 2 t. chopped garlic, 2 roasted, seeded and peeled and chopped poblano peppers, 1/2 C. chopped onion. 2 cups prepared broth, 1/4 c. cooked bacon bits and 2 T. chopped cilantro

Coat heavy pan with olive oil and stir rice in to coat it all. cook over medium heat and add peppers, garlic, mushrooms and onion. cook stirring constantly until rice is translucent. add the broth and the poblano pepper, a pinch of cilantro and 1/4 C cooked bacon. Bring to a boil and then cover and cook on medium-low heat about 15 minutes or until all the broth is absorbed and rice is fluffy and cooked through.

View attachment 41123

View attachment 41124
View attachment 41126

Plate chicken and rice and top with slivered green onions, more bacon bits, chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime.

View attachment 41127

An impressive dish, I like it when I come across something totally new to me. Well done!

View attachment 41119

View attachment 41121

View attachment 41123

View attachment 41124
View attachment 41126

View attachment 41127

I've always followed the rule "you should cook with wine that you would drink." The only exception I have found is Mirin.

No, the rice is regular white rice to start. You place a bunch of cilantro, chopped onion and garlic, green bell or poblano and jalapeno if you want spice with some of the water in a blender and pulverize it so you have a green liquid to cook the rice in. The rice absorbs the liquid and turns a greenish color. My cousin uses broccoli instead of the green peppers and jalapeno. Either has to be salted more than normal or tastes bland.

I didn't know there was a green rice either. One brand at least is Jade Pearl rice. It's dyed with some kind of bamboo extract. Looks interesting.
This is fascinating. I've never heard of such a thing.

Back
Top Bottom