Asafetida/asafoetida anyone?

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
7:05 PM
[Mod.edit: posts moved to form new topic (MG)]

Okra, IMHO, needs to be fried briefly before cooking. That way it´s not slimy. (But that´s another thread!)
Stir-fried kale, on the other hand, with abundant garlic, chiles and a touch of asafoetida, is divine.
I laugh everytime I see asafoetida. In my warped mind, it always translates as "fetid ass", LOL :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad someone started this thread, I've been thinking about trying asafoetida for years. It's not easy to find here in Portugal and it's a bit expensive. And I've only run into one or two recipes that used it. What kind of dishes can you add it to? Anything indian? And what would be the difference in the taste?

This is from my website (plagiarised - not my words):

Asafoetida

Asafoetida is a species of Ferula native to Iran. It is an herbaceous perennial plant growing to two metres tall, with stout, hollow, stems. The leaves are 30–40 cm long and the flowers are yellow. Asafoetida resin has an aroma akin to fresh truffles. It is used in very small quantities such as adding a pinch to really hot oil a few seconds prior to adding other foods.

asafetida.jpg

Why would you eat anything that smells like that?
I think it smells lovely, but I grew up with the smell of trassi (fermented shrimp paste) which is essential in Indonesian cooking. I am also no stranger to Durian, which I also like.
Shrimp paste - Wikipedia

It's all aquired taste, and depends largely on cultural heritage. I personally loathe the smell of fermented or pickled fish, while most Dutch people love it.

I use asafoetida in every Hindu recipe I find, because certain Hindu groups prohibit the use of garlic or onions and asafoetida adds a similar flavor to a dish.

I bought some to use in Indian cooking. I pulled a prank on Craig when we first got it. Told him it was a new spice to try and gave it to him to smell. His response was what the F... is that and why did you buy it? I nearly fell off my chair laughing at the look on his face. He does like it in cooked dishes though.

That´s exactly the reason. Asafoetida is used as a substitute for onions and garlic (which some strict hindus will not eat). Once the asafoetida hits the hot oil, the smell changes radically: vaguely onion/garlic, but I also detect sort of nutty, earthy notes.
A lot of daal dishes start with asafoetida. I once gave an Indian food course, and two of the guests of honour were the 1st Secretary from the Indian Embassy, and his wife. They both said "just a pinch!" when I asked them how much to use!
However, I´ve also got a recipe for Mango and asafoetida pickle, which uses loads of it.
Curiously, most of the asafoetida consumed in India comes from Afghanistan.

A friend of mine in Florida had a boyfriend who thought her BO smelled like chicken soup...

If BO always smelled like chicken soup - the deodorant market would take a nose-dive!!

You can find asafetida online (sometimes sold as hing). You can also get it there in small quantities. If you have an Indian market you can definitely find it there, with the potential of also finding it in middle eastern markets on occasion.

It's flavor is onion-like but with a slightly different twist. I know some people with allium allergies (anything onion/garlic/green onion/shallot/leek) - they don't live close enough to me that I'd be cooking for them, but it could always be an option to toss a little in to the dish.

Back
Top Bottom