Aubergines/Eggplants: Do you love them or hate them?

How do you feel about aubergine/eggplant?

• I hate them

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I love them

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • They are OK

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It depends how they are cooked

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:55 AM
The Aubergine whilst technically a fruit is regarded as a vegetable. A couple of members mentioned they didn't like aubergines so I thought I'd post a poll and also ask why. I'm neither a lover nor hater - it depends how they are cooked. Please add your views and if you do eat them, the ways in which you cook them.

I probably don't like them because I never grew up eating them. I've eaten them exactly twice - once as eggplant parm and once as some kind of puréed dip. I wasn't impressed.

I probably don't like them because I never grew up eating them

Well... if I only liked things I grew up eating I'd have a very limited plain diet. Knowing what a good cook you are, I'm sure there are things you eat now that you never had as a kid? It may be that you simply haven't had aubergine cooked well. They do have an unfortunate way of soaking up loads of oil which can make them slimy in texture.

Well... if I only liked things I grew up eating I'd have a very limited plain diet. Knowing what a good cook you are, I'm sure there are things you eat now that you never had as a kid?
Thanks! It may be with trying new things, that there needs to be some kind of positive association to something I've had before and do like. I never ate salami growing up, but we did have Lebanon bologna, which is sort of like salami, and that made it easier to try salami once I became an adult. Now I eat too much salami!

Eggplant, though, reminds me too much of squash (like those soft yellow summer squash), something we had a lot of growing up, and something I've never liked. Maybe it's partly that negative association as well.

I usually give something three attempts before I completely abandon it, so I suppose I have one more go at eggplant in my future.

Not sure which you mean?

What we typically refer to as "summer squash." Way overused in Mercan restaurants.

serveimage.jpeg

CD

I think they're great. Indeed I just bought one today at the supermarket. And meant to purchase two of them. I've been cooking a lot of Greek food this month (intentionally). I'm planning on making Greek stuffed eggplant/aubergine, and a Greek variant of baba ganoush - which is a Middle-Eastern dip used in the same way hummus is, but containing eggplant rather than chickpeas.

Down the road I'll make both a vegetarian and a meat-containing omnivorous pair of moussakas, but that will happen later in spring. Because I have three other Greek dishes I want to make within a week's time, and two eggplant dishes at once are enough... I like the stuff, but there are very few foods I want to eat every day.

Dad used to make "eggplant pizzas" when we were young. He'd slice them into 1/2-3/4 inch disks, soak them with salt to remove bitterness. cover with his own seasoned tomato sauce, mozzarella, and whatever toppings under the cheese that suited his fancy (or was in the fridge) on a given night that he made these.

One thing one might want to try are the various Asian eggplants / aubergines. They're smaller than the standard large pear-shaped western eggplant, often are elongated, or may even be ball-shaped. They can be white or lavender, and may even have streaks of green. They are great in Chinese and Indochinese stir fries, and don't need to soak to remove any bitterness. And their skins are more palatable, so I never peel those. They work wonderfully with vegetarian and vegan stir fries, and can even be pickled.

There is an old chain of pancake houses in the US called The Original Pancake House, that has a cool logo and great pancakes -- Mercan style breakfast cakes.

They are the only places I can get buckwheat pancakes, a favorite since childhood. Buckwheat pancakes have a robust flavor, and usually include a little molasses in the batter recipe for even more of a rustic flavor.

Real butter and pure maple syrup ONLY on my cakes.

View attachment 37926
View attachment 37927
What we typically refer to as "summer squash." Way overused in Mercan restaurants.

View attachment 38094

CD

Personally, I definitely prefer eggplant to summer squash. I don't mind a little of summer squash mixed into something, but I would certainly prefer eggplant/aubergine to take the starring role.

I think they're great. Indeed I just bought one today at the supermarket. And meant to purchase two of them. I've been cooking a lot of Greek food this month (intentionally). I'm planning on making Greek stuffed eggplant/aubergine, and a Greek variant of baba ganoush - which is a Middle-Eastern dip used in the same way hummus is, but containing eggplant rather than chickpeas.

Down the road I'll make both a vegetarian and a meat-containing omnivorous pair of moussakas, but that will happen later in spring. Because I have three other Greek dishes I want to make within a week's time, and two eggplant dishes at once are enough... I like the stuff, but there are very few foods I want to eat every day.

Dad used to make "eggplant pizzas" when we were young. He'd slice them into 1/2-3/4 inch disks, soak them with salt to remove bitterness. cover with his own seasoned tomato sauce, mozzarella, and whatever toppings under the cheese that suited his fancy (or was in the fridge) on a given night that he made these.

One thing one might want to try are the various Asian eggplants / aubergines. They're smaller than the standard large pear-shaped western eggplant, often are elongated, or may even be ball-shaped. They can be white or lavender, and may even have streaks of green. They are great in Chinese and Indochinese stir fries, and don't need to soak to remove any bitterness. And their skins are more palatable, so I never peel those. They work wonderfully with vegetarian and vegan stir fries, and can even be pickled.

'Eggplant Pizzas' oh fantastic, I make them too!

They are lovely, if prepared right. Boiling them or adding them raw to pasta sauce or something can give them a rubbery unpleasant texture. But if you grill them, pan fry them, roast them or roast and puree them they are great. I like eating them in pasta and pizza.

Last edited:
Don't like the look of them, only reason why, my son loves eggplant, I even tried to grow it last year, it didn't grow. Maybe at the next Greek joint we go to??

Russ

Don't like the look of them, only reason why, my son loves eggplant, I even tried to grow it last year, it didn't grow. Maybe at the next Greek joint we go to??

Russ

There are many different types of eggplant. The first time I remember having them, I hated them. Years later, I realized the person preparing them had no idea what they were doing.

Sliced egg plant, ice/salt water bath, pat dry, dip in seasoned crumbs, quick saute', slice of tomato on top, top with provolone, place under the broiler till brown/bubbly and then on the plate! No tomato sauce and only do it when local grown tomatoes are in season. 👍

Back
Top Bottom