Autumn & Winter salads

Sugarsnap1982

Veteran
Local time
7:49 AM
In summer, I tend to buy salad at least one every week, and we'll have it on the side for a couple of main meals, or as the main event at lunch time, or as garnish in sandwiches. Even my kids tuck in quite happily, because they've been served it regularly since toddler-hood. On days when we're pressed for time and it's a chips-and-something-out-the-freezer dinner, or a rich pasta dish, it's an easy way to make things a little healthier.

But I generally try to eat seasonally, both for cost and environmental reasons and because I think it's nice to have a bit more variety in the diet - now that I don't buy apples all year round I find I look forward to apple season and they're much more appreciated by the whole family now they're not a permanent fixture. So now that summer's on its way out, I'm faced with a dilemma. I want to keep up the effort to eat healthy and include more vegetables in our diet, but without shelling out for out-of-season lettuce and cucumber.

Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations for salad type meals using autumn & winter vegetables? Something that's going to be palatable to young kids and fairly quick & easy to prepare.

Back
Top Bottom